Anyone know of any great deals on Wii U?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gaming MoneySaving
7 replies 2K views
matilda.csmatilda.cs Forumite
260 Posts
Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gaming MoneySaving
Hi all,

Thinking of purchasing a Wii U but looking for best price.
Sainsbods have them for £209 with Mario Kart (which is essential)
Anyone do better? xx

Replies

• I wouldn't buy a Wii U, the lack of software is chronic & only scheduled to get much much worse over the course of the next year or so with most of them being first party Nintendo games. When your console cannot even attract a port of FIFA & guys like Activision & EA are distancing themselves from your console it's only a matter of time.

If you absolutely must I'd say that sainsbods deal is reasonable, but take the above as a warning!
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • matilda.csmatilda.cs Forumite
    260 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'm a ps4 player, but this is an upgrade for my sons wii for his birthday.
    We have currently racked up several hundred hours on mario kart for the wii, so figured that mario kart 8 was a logical step.
    Seemingly the success of Mario Kart 8 has boosted Wii U sales and popularity, so there may be life in the old dog yet?
  • matilda.cs wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'm a ps4 player, but this is an upgrade for my sons wii for his birthday.
    We have currently racked up several hundred hours on mario kart for the wii, so figured that mario kart 8 was a logical step.
    Seemingly the success of Mario Kart 8 has boosted Wii U sales and popularity, so there may be life in the old dog yet?

Absolutely not, a snowball has a better chance of winning a handicap match with hell & a smelting furnace than the Wii U has of recovering - it's not going to happen. Mario Kart 8 did slightly boost sales, but lets be fair the install base for PS4 & even the much maligned Xbox 1 already outstrips the Wii U.

As I pointed out there's a trend for publishers simply not releasing games for it - EA have stated they will not support the format going forward. Even it's most hardcore supporting publisher Ubisoft is distancing itself & has stated that while they have a Wii U exclusive title, they will not release it until sales improve dramatically. Activision only moderately support the machine & even then it's only really the cash cow Skylanders franchise they release on it.

Case in point, the Wii is dying a slow death, but did you know that both FIFA 14 & the forthcoming FIFA 15 have editions released on the Wii. They do not however appear on Wii U - now say what you like about EA but one thing they do know is where to make sales & they have a track record for getting it right.

It's not just publishers though, you merely have to look towards retail. Asda reportedly stopped stocking the hardware last year in stores & will only consider software on a case by case basis. (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/421340/asda-suspends-wii-u-stock/) Now while they don't speak for all of retail, it's also fair to suggest that Game are starting to look like they're distancing themselves as well.

It might have been a wee while since I sold games for a living but I was in it long enough to know the story from here on out. Nintendo will support it for a few years but ultimately it'll all be Mario, Zelda & Smash Bros, in 2+ years it's sold just over 6.5m units worldwide. The only way it's going to survive is with a significant price cut (to the £150 mark at most) which won't happen based on the costs involved in the console. It also won't survive based on lack of understanding of the machine - the mass market doesn't understand it the way they immediately "got it" with the Wii, that's problematic.

There's not a sign pointing me to it's long term future as a viable upgrade to Wii - the truth is if you're looking to upgrade from Wii you'd be better off with a PS3/360.
  • RichardD1970RichardD1970 Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    bluenoseam wrote: »
    Absolutely not, a snowball has a better chance of winning a handicap match with hell & a smelting furnace than the Wii U has of recovering - it's not going to happen. Mario Kart 8 did slightly boost sales

Whilst you may or may not be right (my crystal ball is malfunctioning at the moment ;)), sales were up 666%, in the UK, with the release of Mario Kart, it boils down to whether there are the games you want on a specific console.

The OP wants Mario Kart 8 and the only way of getting that is by buying a Wii U, there is also a strong lineup of games coming that people who have had Nintendo before will probably want to play. And many great games via the Wii U shop from small independent publishers.

At the end of the day it doesn't bother me if a console is still supported if it has the games I want on it, I still get my Megadrive and N64 out to play games on and they haven't had any support for many many years.
  • bluenoseambluenoseam Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Whilst you may or may not be right (my crystal ball is malfunctioning at the moment ;)), sales were up 666%, in the UK, with the release of Mario Kart, it boils down to whether there are the games you want on a specific console.

The OP wants Mario Kart 8 and the only way of getting that is by buying a Wii U, there is also a strong lineup of games coming that people who have had Nintendo before will probably want to play. And many great games via the Wii U shop from small independent publishers.

At the end of the day it doesn't bother me if a console is still supported if it has the games I want on it, I still get my Megadrive and N64 out to play games on and they haven't had any support for many many years.

A rise of 666% is a headline figure - the chart track figures for year on year are 2013 - 26,273 & 2014 - 130,829. July dropped down to 94,043.

http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_yoy.php?reg=Europe&start_year=2012&end_year=2014&console=WiiU

I still get my old gear out as well, but the difference between particularly the Mega Drive & Wii U is night & day - while it's true the mega drive has at best limited support these days (I believe it's still huge in South America!) it was better supported in it's day. The Wii U on the other hand is a pariah, honestly publishers can't get far enough away from it.

I know the OP's stated Mario Kart, but I can also see other things. "Thinking of" "this is an upgrade" - the first suggests to me they're looking for opinions & suggestions, the second suggest to me they're looking for something better which will be of use in the future. Now the better part on a technology level isn't up for debate, the Wii U's a better machine technologically, but where it fails is the second part. There's also the fact that well, they like Mario Kart, but I'd suggest that it's not going to be the ONLY thing they want to play on it - which is the way it's turning out.

I'm not telling the OP not to buy one, I am however advising against it with the reasons as to why I wouldn't. As a retailer I used to pride myself in not ripping a customer off to make a sale - that often included telling them to stick where they are if the spend isn't justified. When it comes down to it it's my opinion that it would be money wasted for what they're after & suggested alternatives which may be better value. (And I hasten to add not a reason why I no longer sell them - although the not wanting to rip people off part did play a little bit!)
  • I've been looking at getting a wii u for Xmas for the whole family I'm a ps4 player but lately I've been having more fun playing on my 3ds

Hopefully there will be a sale on around Xmas of just after
  • Noting what others have said in this thread, I noticed that my (most) local large Tesco's has stopped selling the Wii U ..... and the games for this console. :(
    They were there a few weeks ago, I'm positive because my son was looking.
    ANYWAY .... like others, I'll be keeping my eyes open for significant reductions OR it looks like XBox or Sony PS whatever instead. :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals