We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Post Office Mortgage - Be Careful!

2»

Comments

  • attila_
    attila_ Posts: 462 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    mikeyscott wrote: »
    Thinking about it Post Office branding with Bank of Ireland admin, couldn't think of anything worse.

    Oh well, if the rate is good and I don't need to contact them, then fingers crossed. I'll put the question to L&C re overpaying.

    Just wish I could have stayed with HSBC. I may well be as I've heard BOI/PO are viscous with their valuations.

    I'll be saving up in £500 lumps for over payments, plus funding for the R32 :)

    I wish I had stayed with Santander!

    Still, life is for learning.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    attila_ wrote: »
    I wish I had stayed with Santander!

    There's phrase you wont hear too often.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ethank
    ethank Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Holiday Haggler I've been Money Tipped!
    You were never with the Post Office. Everything is done by Bank of Ireland
  • attila_
    attila_ Posts: 462 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    amnblog wrote: »
    There's phrase you wont hear too often.

    I know - reading the amount of stuff on here About Santander I'm really surprised. Didn't have any problems with them at all, reasonable fixed rate for 4 years and could overpay up to 10% and had the choice of either reducing term length or reducing payments.

    Their initial application process was easier and quicker than post office/bank of Ireland. This was 2010 and I was an original abbey customer if that made any difference.
  • xyz123
    xyz123 Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 16 August 2014 at 7:39PM
    we have post office mortgage since 2012 and took 5 year fixed rate at that time.

    my understanding is that basically whether term is reduced or monthly payments reduced, makes no difference as long as you switch the product after 5 years as many should be doing anyway! this is because the 100% of overpayments go towards paying off capital. Then at end of 5 year period you can reassess situation and decrease the term if needed.

    would be interested if any brokers or experts here can advise.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.