We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How to grow out coloured hair

Options
I always had mousy hair and have coloured it for years. I started going grey when I was about 26 and now, early 50's, I am more or less completely grey. I didn't fancy being grey as I think it can be ageing and also although the front of my hair is a lovely silvery colour, the back is a sort of peppery colour!

Anyway I tried colouring it blonde for a while but found as the colour faded, and it fades really quickly on my hair it just ended up really brilliant blonde which I felt was too young. I am now red and I do like it and have had loads of compliments but the trouble is my hair grows so fast the roots need doing every 2 weeks. I am sick of colouring it that often and also it cannot be good for me.

I am seriously thinking of at least seeing how the grey looks. OH is horrified and does not want me to do it but I was to see what I think and then decide. The problem is how on earth do I grow it out without it looking horrendous! My hair is pretty short but it would still take a while to grow all the colour out. I have thought about dying it lighter and the regrowth would not be so obvious but I don't think I can use a light colour over the red can I? It is very deep red.
The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie

Comments

• missylou_2
    missylou_2 Posts: 327 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried the semi-permanent rinses to allow you to keep colouring your regrowth until your hair is long enough to have the permanent colour cut off, and then let the rinse fade over the required number of washes?
  • seraphin_2
    seraphin_2 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    I was told from a hairdresser many years ago, vosene shampoo will strip colour from your hair, dont know if its true, I try not to lose any colour i have !!

It would be worth going to a hairdresser for advise, dont be conned into having anything done(unless you want too).

Maybe try a college who are training hairdressers,they are always supervised and you could get a colour etc cheaply, that would allow your natural colour to grow, i did this years ago, after a disaster with highligtening my own hair.

sarah
    :j mseswgwa:j
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think I'll try the Vosene - nothing to lose.

I am still not sure about being completely grey but if I could get rid of the red I might try a different colour!!
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport