'Young Enterprise Scheme. Memories of being 17...' Blog discussion

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News
7 replies 2.9K views
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's 'Young Enterprise Scheme. Memories of being 17; the shape of things to come?' blog. Please read the blog first, as the discussion follows it.

Replies

• LesDLesD Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    They didn't have YE in my school days - many moons ago! But I've been working with various aspects of the scheme off-and-on for the past 25 years! Have even been chair of a local group.

The recent government 'initiative' on Enterprise seems to have been a real waste of money. It would have been much better to put the cash into YE and similar schemes and enable them to be extended to a wider range of students.

The biggest problem nowadays seems to be getting advisers. When I started, 'managers' had spare time in the week to put towards community work. Now it seems most people work a 10 hour day!

How about 'giving something back', Martin, and organise a programme to find advisers for YE?
  • jmarkojmarko Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    YE recently had a lot of its money taken away from it and passed directly to schools. The idea being that schools could 'decide' to use it for YE. What happened was that the Govt said 'look, we've given lots more money to schools this year' (carefully neglecting to say where it had come from) and YE got shafted in the process. then, lots of schools decided that they needed the money for such non-essentials as teachers (!) so YE became a low priority. in the south west, there has been a marked downturn in the number of schools taking part and that is a real shame.

as a YE judge, i'd ask Martin to see if he can use his omnipotence to get this dreadful, thieving Govt to put money back into the scheme. otherwise it'll end up dead in the water.
    My signature has been removed by the authorities. If you have been affected by the issues raised in this signature, please contact the Action Line on 1-800-THEY-NICKED-MY-SIG.
  • This blog of Martin's is probably the most perceptive item yet to appear on MSE. It's about an individual following his intuition and doing the right things for the right reasons. "Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door." MSE is that better mousetrap, in spades.
  • NevarthurNevarthur Forumite
    3 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Amphiscian wrote: »
    This blog of Martin's is probably the most perceptive item yet to appear on MSE. It's about an individual following his intuition and doing the right things for the right reasons. "Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door." MSE is that better mousetrap, in spades.

I very much agree with your opinion on this blog of Martin's. The wealth for himself and his employees that has been earnt in such an ethical way is very much unbegrudged by me and hopefully very many other people on this site. When I look around on the forums and see the wealth of material and issues being discussed, some of it almost life-saving in its scope, and read of the successes of the debt-free-wanabees, (well done to all of you!), I'm just genuinely pleased for him and his methods. They do work, they haved worked, and long may they work.
  • Ahhh, this blog has brought back some memories.

I was on the very same team with Martin, attempting to push T-shirts through to the unsuspecting pupils of our school. Our team was populated mainly by members of the rowing club who had more committment for weight training than for Young Enterprise.

In the end we spun a tiny profit by having the A-level art student on our team create a design of the school for the T-shirts (yeh, groovy!). We secured permission from the school to allow the kids to wear them during gym classes, and this meant we could foist them on most of the junior school, and save our (financial) necks.

Martin's success in the written YE exam was clearly a portent for him to go on to journalistic stardom.

As for me, after YE I used the unsold stock of T-shirts, a modicum of artistic ability and some fabric paint to create and sell a few more bespoke T-shirts to raise some pocket money. And now? I teamed up with a couple of colleagues to salvage the remains of a dying market research company; five year's in we're enjoying £1m+ turnover with another 11 staff helping us.

Perhaps I did subliminally absorb a spot of entrepeneurship from the YE scheme after all...!
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow SnargleFlip;

Thanks for filling in the story, lots of details I'd forgotten there. I knew we'd come up with a design of the school - but our negotiated monopoly for gym class had slipped my memory!

Welcome to the site; lovely to have you hear. I must admit I'm hastily trying to crack exactly who you are; do send me a PM and tell me.

Martin :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Hey Martin - it's Mark Lenel here.

Sorry, don't know how to PM you, and I've lost your email address!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals