GPS watch - worth it?

Options

Comments

• delmar39
    delmar39 Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    edited 10 September 2014 at 2:37PM
    Options
    puppey wrote: »
    How much on average are these watches? When I go for runs around the campus, I have the nike run app on my iphone which tracks where I'm running, I never really thought of upgrading to a watch though.

Here you go. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forerunner-110-Running-Watch/dp/B003EG83LK

I don't think you can beat a watch. I have the basic Garmin Forerunner 110, which gives me all that I need (went for the heart rate monitor version, which is slightly more expensive than the one above). It's brilliant, gives instant feedback and it's better than having a phone attached (for me anyway). You can download data online, which gives you more info, and it's easy to do. It really made a difference to my training and running generally. All depends I guess on how serious you are. I'd been running for years before I bought one mainly to help with my first marathon training and wouldn't be without it now.

This is the watch I bought, decent price http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forerunner-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B003EGC47Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1410356156&sr=1-1&keywords=garmin+110+with+heart+rate+monitor
  • rainbowfairydust
    Options
    i have just purchased my first HRM watch this week. Its a suunto m2. Its doesnt have GPS or any uploading capabilities but has enough functions for what i need plus the HRM belt is super soft & comfortable.

I paid £65 for it.

http://www.suunto.com/en-GB/Products/sports-watches/Suunto-M2/SUUNTO-M2-BLACKLIME/?categoryId=3
    Sleazy wrote: »
    I like RainbowFairyDust .....

RFD for president .... Ra! Ra! Ra! :j

Undergrad degree - completed 2018
    Masters degree - completed 2019
  • Alias_Omega
    Options
    I went old skool Garmin Forerunner 301 for £60 from eBay refurbished.
  • puppey
    puppey Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    I went old skool Garmin Forerunner 301 for £60 from eBay refurbished.

Yeah I might grab a refurbished one to give them a "test-run" haha and if they end up being extremely useful then I'll save up and splurge :j
  • louis_nex
    Options
    Y i also like Garmin.Mine i bought it at a local store who was closing its shop at 20% discount.I loved this.Its still woking like an charm.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been using strava and have had no problems. What more does the watch gives you (besides heart rate monitor)?
  • spikyone
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    I've been using strava and have had no problems. What more does the watch gives you (besides heart rate monitor)?

Heart rate is basically as far as most watches will go above and beyond GPS and timing, but don't dismiss that as being "not enough benefit". I just got myself a TomTom Cardio, which has built-in heart rate (no chest strap) and it's a great piece of kit that ought to seriously improve anyone's fitness if used properly. Whilst it was a pricier option, I couldn't see myself using a chest strap.

It's not just about post-workout analysis either, you can train within a heart rate zone to work on your speed or cardio fitness specifically. Then there's the added benefit of real-time speed or distance information just by glancing at your wrist - far more convenient than your phone. For me that's a great benefit as I usually start too fast and end up flagging.

None of that is to dismiss mobile apps, but I'm guessing most people who run regularly are looking to improve their fitness, and a GPS/heart monitor watch will just make your workouts much more effective.
  • spikyone
    Options
    Having just been out for a cycle ride, I'd also add that the dedicated GPS in my watch is far more accurate than that of a phone - in 6.7 miles, I'm getting variation of about 0.02 miles on the watch, whereas it was probably ten times that on my phone.
    Now you may think that the phone accuracy is fine, but remember that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. The variability on the phone actually means it's measuring a greater distance. It'll make you think you're faster than you really are! Having compared the same route on MapMyRun, both an Android and an Apple phone wobble around off-course, whereas the watch seems near-perfect.
    Again, it's all about getting that little extra from your workouts.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    edited 28 September 2014 at 8:52AM
    Options
    Sammy_J wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone know if it's worth getting a foot pod to go with the watch?

Nope, you only use it indoors on say a treadmill where you don't have access to GPS. It tells you (inaccurately!) how far you've run. Waste of money. Most (all?) of the newer Garmin's have the footpod built into the watch.

Although the FR620 is Garmin's latest and greatest running watch I still very highly rate the previous model the FR610 which can now be bought at a much reduced price of around £180.

If you haven't yet bought your 910 then the 920 is just about to be launched.

Am currently using a FR620, Swim, E1000 & Fenix.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well OH has decided he wants to get me the 310XT GPS for my birthday! The thing is, I am worried that I will get into it for a couple of weeks and then decide I don't really care about all it does and happy to go back using my phone! Do you really get into all the things it can do! Also, am a bit worried that I will find the watch uncomfortable. I never wear one in normal circumstances, and have very little wrists, so not sure how I'll feel wearing it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure