council tax banding pls help

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
1 reply 1.2K views
chelly1972chelly1972 Forumite
50 Posts
Hi guys,
I have been looking into the council tax rebanding, anyway im charged for band c, when i went onto the nationwide page it states i should be on b band, the neighbours are all different with a lot in my street being b band, my property isn't the same size as there's , it has a two storey side extension, that the previous owner did, i have checked my old paperwork and found the planning application and agreement that was dated sept 1980, so well within the 1991 time frame when they started banding propertys, my question is really do you think i have a case, as you can tell i am a little confused, can't seem to find any old archive on line of house prices in 1991, only the nationwide one, what do i do now


  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    15K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    If the extension was carried out in 1980, then it should be reflected in the band. So it's quite probable Band C is correct as your home would have been worth more than the neighbours', thus they're only Band B.

    The Nationwide House Price Index is only a rough guide and is frequently inaccurate. 1991 house prices are not in the public domain, you can only search archived newspaper property ads for asking prices of similar properties.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals