Right time to change departments

Options
i recently started working for a fantastic company which has amazing opportunities end of April. unfortunately i am not crazy about the department i work in. when i first started i wanted to leave but because of the opportunities that are possible i decided to stick it out until after my 6 month contract is done and apply for something else internally.
my pickle right now is that they have just created a whole new department that i am interested in joining but am a bit weary if its too soon to be applying to move, its only been 3 months! i dont this to affect my relationship with my manager (even though its non-existent) and i also dont want the recruiters to think i cannot stick it through and will move again in a few months.

any advice is really appreciated :)
Don't sweat the small stuff

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If you show you are keep to work at the company and looking for longer term better roles in most places this goes down OK.

If the current contract is only 6 months(is this agency or PAYE) it may be that the move could be accomodated if you are considered for a post.

Will the current job need filling if you leave now or in 3months(end of contract) is it an easy possition to fill?

If internal it is good practice to let your current manager know that you might be interested and the recruiting manager before an official application, depending on how you know them then the order can either way.

IT could be your current boss can't wait to get rid of you and is also just hanging on for the contract to end so they can get someone new in.

Talk, if you don't, you won't know what people think, even if it starts with a casual comment in earshiot of boss to other people you work with, see that department they are creating bet it would be great to work there do you think they will fill the jobs internaly or recruit externaly.
  • susieq87
    susieq87 Posts: 200 Forumite
    Options
    If you show you are keep to work at the company and looking for longer term better roles in most places this goes down OK.

If the current contract is only 6 months(is this agency or PAYE) it may be that the move could be accomodated if you are considered for a post.

Will the current job need filling if you leave now or in 3months(end of contract) is it an easy possition to fill?

If internal it is good practice to let your current manager know that you might be interested and the recruiting manager before an official application, depending on how you know them then the order can either way.

IT could be your current boss can't wait to get rid of you and is also just hanging on for the contract to end so they can get someone new in.

Talk, if you don't, you won't know what people think, even if it starts with a casual comment in earshiot of boss to other people you work with, see that department they are creating bet it would be great to work there do you think they will fill the jobs internaly or recruit externaly.

great advice. the company gives all new starters a 6 month contract and then offers them a permanent position after that. the role is easy to fill imo, it is a team admin role. i spoke to one of the girls in HR about it very informal and blase and told her i was interested and she was very encouraging saying the company likes to retain its people so they wont mind people moving to different depts. in my role as i said its team admin its not very challenging, i basically do the work other people dont want to do but in this new dept it will be more hands on with a chance of progression as you learn and gain experience.
    i just dont want to seem ungrateful by asking to move 3 months into the job!
    Don't sweat the small stuff
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If it is easy to recruit into your current role and the job is a filler anyway then it makes sense to move people on into better jobs to keep them.

How did the vacancy appear in the first place for you to get it?

It's not about being ungreatful it is about doing the best for you and the company if you are wasted talent where you are then it could be win win.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure