We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE Blog: Why I baked a wedding cake (and saved £430)

Options
2»

Comments

• tatabubbly
    tatabubbly Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wish I could have made my wedding cake but I just don't have the patience.. My siblings are paying for it but it's a 3 tier cake, for €350.. Which would be less in sterling so unless you are getting a monster of a cake!
    094 Sealed pot member! :beer: (7) €185 (8) €138 (9) €€250
    Saving for our first home!
  • bellakitten
    Options
    I also don't have the patience, this is a great idea though!
  • hels234
    hels234 Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I DID use a professional and was soooo glad in the end! Saved me a whole lot of stress! I had a 3 tier cake plus 2 tray bake cakes for extra, set up at a cost of £265 which I thought was a bargain. Wish I could post a pic but it will only let me link to a website :mad:
  • hansaplatz
    Options
    Depending on what type of cake you want there's also the option of making the base cake(s) earlier and freezing it, meaning a little less stress about doing it near the day, other than needing to defrost and decorate a few days beforehand. It won't work for all recipes but some do well; a friend has a great ginger cake recipe that freezes excellently as we did quite a large cake for work (about a metre by half a metre or so) out of blocks of it he'd made over several weeks in advance. If in doubt about whether something will freeze well you can always make a small test cake with the recipe to check out what it's like after being defrosted.
  • Brightspark87
    Options
    I made my own wedding cake with my family and saved a huge amount of money... my cousin also did the same but it didnt come out quite so well top tier was a little wonky. However, no one noticed and it tasted gorgeous. I have a photo of mine on the guardian website if anyone wants to see it!

Paid off all Catalogues 10.10.2014
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport