Personal wedding venues

Hey all I'm wondering if anyone can help me?!

I've recently got engaged and hoping to get married next year (2015). The only problem is that I'm struggling to find a venue!

We first of all thought of hiring a village hall. I loved this idea as it meant I could decorate it how I wanted and it's reasonably cheap which we need!! However my other half isn't as keen on the idea as me.

Then we looked at a barn near us (Tithe Barn, nr Clitheroe). We loved this as it's sooo pretty and scenic! However it meant that I wouldn't be able to have my own personal touches that I'd planned, like homemade cocktails in jam jars on arrival and a real ale stand. Also the bar was tiny which could prove to be a problem with my lot!!!

So what I'm basically after is a wedding venue with a difference. Like a barn or a marquee where I can make it as personal as possible. I'm also on a very strict budget so need it to be as cheap as possible so I can spend more on the little touches.

I'm looking in either the Yorkshire dales, ribble valley or lancashire area.

Has anyone any ideas or been to any 'interesting' venues?

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,220 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Why can't you have real ale? Is that what you have been told, or just an assumption?

We had our reception at the Imperial in Blackpool and had a keg of Lytham Gold rebranded as "Nupti-ale" which we bought direct from the brewery. The hotel were really helpful and keen, as it set a precedent for other events :)

Marquees aren't cheap - and you need somehere to site it, with space for portaloos if there are none available.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Buzzybee90
    Buzzybee90 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    buswoman14 wrote: »
    Hey all I'm wondering if anyone can help me?!

I've recently got engaged and hoping to get married next year (2015). The only problem is that I'm struggling to find a venue!

We first of all thought of hiring a village hall. I loved this idea as it meant I could decorate it how I wanted and it's reasonably cheap which we need!! However my other half isn't as keen on the idea as me.

Then we looked at a barn near us (Tithe Barn, nr Clitheroe). We loved this as it's sooo pretty and scenic! However it meant that I wouldn't be able to have my own personal touches that I'd planned, like homemade cocktails in jam jars on arrival and a real ale stand. Also the bar was tiny which could prove to be a problem with my lot!!!

So what I'm basically after is a wedding venue with a difference. Like a barn or a marquee where I can make it as personal as possible. I'm also on a very strict budget so need it to be as cheap as possible so I can spend more on the little touches.

I'm looking in either the Yorkshire dales, ribble valley or lancashire area.

Has anyone any ideas or been to any 'interesting' venues?

Have you ever thought of putting an ad out to in the local papers for landowners, seeings if anyone is willing to lend you their barn? I know a lot of farmers near me have empty barns, some of them even have stages!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure