Ruby's Paying off Debt, Planning a Wedding, Buying a House and Everything Inbetween!

in Debt Free Diaries
23 replies 1.9K views
13»

Replies

• ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Had a letter from HMRC saying that they can't accept my appeal re: the extra tax payments so my code will be changing next year to cover it but they did send me a cheque for the backdated uniform washing money I claimed. Have put a reminder in my phone to notify them that I won't need the extra allowance come February when my job role will change slightly. Money has gone straight in the wedding pot to cover the cost of the band that we booked. Other than that, I don't think there's much money news to report round here till payday in 10 days!
    Emergency Fund - £5309.05 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £3566.50
    LISA 2021 - £3199 :: NSD January - 6 / 20 :: Books Read: 3 / 52 :: Decluttering - 38 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
    3.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay it's pay day! I've done the money shuffle and managed to put £250 in the wedding pot and £65 in the misc savings. Need to renew my car tax tonight but I had budgeted for that anyway.

Managed to snap up a winter coat in the Dorothy Perkins sale yesterday; was £60 but they had 25% off plus free express delivery when you spent over £30 and then Topcashback had 8.4% cashback so really the coat has only cost me about £42. Now I just need a pair of flat boots (I'm watching a few pairs on ebay) to replace my ones that have fallen apart, and then I'm all ready for our holiday to Prague in December.

On the wedding side of things, it's all going well so far: I bought my dress last weekend for 20% off and paid in full for that so I don't have to worry about making additional payments. Just have to wait 8 months for it to arrive. The only things we need to sort out are flowers, suits, bridesmaid dress, New York part of the honeymoon and rings. We've already met with one florist who we're seeing again tomorrow, OH is also trying suits on tomorrow and we're meeting with the jeweller on Wednesday to talk about rings. Really, I think we're going to have most things sorted by Christmas which would be good.

On a more personal note, work isn't going so well. I'm on a fixed term contract till February but there is the substantive post available. Every time I enquire about whether they're keeping me on I keep getting told they need to discuss it. Recently there have been comments made in meetings that have made me feel that no one really appreciates the work I do and they don't see the point in me being here. It got so bad the other day that I actually said "Am I redundant now then?" which was met with silence from the entire management team. My line managers are both on annual leave till November so I can't ask them what's happening. I'm feeling rather deflated and similar to how I felt towards the end of my last job. It's starting to make me question whether this is the right career path for me if I've not been happy in the last two jobs I've had, but I don't know what else to do. I've started looking around but there isn't really anything out there in this field at the moment.

Sorry for the venting!
    LISA 2021 - £3199 :: NSD January - 6 / 20 :: Books Read: 3 / 52 :: Decluttering - 38 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
    3.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh look, I have a shiny new badge on my profile. Thanks MSE Badger! Can I get one for being a uniform washer as well please?

Anyway, there is now less than a year to go till the wedding! We ordered our wedding rings yesterday (30% cheaper than the high street prices) and have confirmed everything with the registrar. Might try and order invitations at the weekend; we're having someone design them and then we just have to print them ourselves at home. After that we just have to order the suits, sort the flowers and order the cake. I think that's everything for the actual wedding. We need to sort out the NYC part of the honeymoon but we can't book the connecting flight till December and we can't book the hotel till April, when we know what's happening with the NFL games etc. Only 364 days to go!

On the job front; I was invited for a pre-interview test on Monday out of the blue for a job I applied for last minute. I should hear today if I've got an interview or not and then I'll have to have an awkward conversation with my managers next week regardless.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides