WARNING - Vodafone competition rip off - "Free Phone"

Options
Hi All,

I just wanted to warn you that I was nearly duped by a "Competition" to win a free phone from Vodafone, you just pay the contract fees.

I was called today by Vodaphone to congratulate me on being chosen as a winner of any phone I like with a contract.

I remembered completing a survey online a few weeks ago which said I'd be entered into the draw to win a free mobile phone of my choice from Vodafone. I wish I could remember which website it was on! Sure enough today I recevied a call stating I was the lucky man that had been chosen! The lady was very friendly on the phone, and kept telling me that with only two quick checks (To verify I was the person that entered the competition, and a credit check), that I would have the prize in my hand on Friday.

They said I could have any phone - I chose the Iphone 5S. They said that my contract would be £34.80 a month for:
  • 24 Month Vodafone contract
  • 3G data with 2gb allowance
  • Unlimited calls to UK landlines and mobiles
  • Unlimited texts
  • And of course the free phone
I asked about a 4G contract, and they said I could have that too, for £38.80 a month for:
  • 24 Month Vodafone Contract
  • 4G with 7GB allowance (What would I do with all that?!!)
  • Unlimited calls
  • Unlimited Texts
  • And again the free phone which I had won.
I asked her to call me back as I was at work, and also to give me chance to research the deal. They were genuine - they called from 0141 419 4380 which is listed as genuine on the vodafone website. But then I thought to check if this really was a good deal.

One very quick search showed me that I wasn't getting a free phone at all!!!

I went on the Carphone Warehouse website, and did a very quick search to find that I could get...

For £35.50 a month:
  • 24 Month Vodafone contract
  • 4G with 4GB allowance
  • Unlimited calls
  • Unlimited Texts
  • A FREE PHONE!!!!
So please beware - if it sounds too good to be true, it definitely is!!!! :money:
:j Comping on & off since 31/08/12 :beer:
I comp for fun... and to kill the boredom!

Comments

• pavers
    pavers Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bet you someone will fall for it.
    Wins:
    Mar 23 - Ridge Wallet
    Mar 23 - Blackpool family trip
    Dec - Klean Kanteen water bottle
    Nov - TWS1 Edifier headphones
  • FIRESCORPION
    Options
    Pity you didn't know the terms and conditions because if it didn't say it was on a contract then they would have to give you the "free phone" then you could have it as pay as you go or choose a different network/ orange for example?♠
    Jinksy.X:cool:
  • kevbev321
    kevbev321 Posts: 175 Forumite
    Uniform Washer I've been Money Tipped! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I really wish I'd paid attention to the competition I was entering - that may well have been the case but she didn't offer it to me on its own. It was one of those surveys that pops up, I wasn't even really paying attention - you never hear back from those kind of things, but this time I did! Oh well you live and learn!
    :j Comping on & off since 31/08/12 :beer:
    I comp for fun... and to kill the boredom!
  • Autumnella
    Autumnella Posts: 605 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    When companies use underhand tactics like this it puts me off them forever.
    Make £10 per day-
    June: £100/£300
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would write them and ask for a copy of the terms and conditions for the competition. Go from there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure