Check the checkout scales are on zero

I was in Asda today using the self service checkout. I had two small thin chillies in a bag so expected them to cost about 3p.

They came in at 55g and cost 23p. As I lifted them off the scales, I noticed the weight was 50g with nothing on there. Pressed the zero button on the scales and weighed them again: 5g and 2p.

Had a real bother getting the assistant to understand what happened and remove the 23p line.

So, it was only 21p extra, but I had seven items to weigh, so it would've been quite a bit more.

Lesson to learn: zero the scales before using if they aren't already on zero!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Something must have been on the scale the last time the self scan was being rebooted.
  • aau1
    aau1 Posts: 19,401 Forumite
    glider3560 wrote: »
    I was in Asda today using the self service checkout. I had two small thin chillies in a bag so expected them to cost about 3p.

They came in at 55g and cost 23p. As I lifted them off the scales, I noticed the weight was 50g with nothing on there. Pressed the zero button on the scales and weighed them again: 5g and 2p.

Had a real bother getting the assistant to understand what happened and remove the 23p line.

So, it was only 21p extra, but I had seven items to weigh, so it would've been quite a bit more.

Lesson to learn: zero the scales before using if they aren't already on zero!

Good advice but if you tried to bag the items it would have probably recognised that you were 50g short and flagged up a message telling you to place the item in the bagging area.

This would have happened for each of your 7 items so it would have been easy to spot

What you need to be careful of is that it doesn't happen on a manned till
    Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is [strike]the word[/strike] a moorhen
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Something must have been on the scale the last time the self scan was being rebooted.

No, that wouldn't do it.

If you have something weighing 50g on the scale and you reboot the machine the scales get zeroed. Then when you take the item off the scale it goes down to minus 50g, not up to plus 50g.
  • geordie_joe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    aau1 wrote: »
    Good advice but if you tried to bag the items it would have probably recognised that you were 50g short and flagged up a message telling you to place the item in the bagging area.

How would it know how much 2 chillies, or any other lose fruit and veg are supposed to weigh?
  • [Deleted User]
    No, that wouldn't do it.

If you have something weighing 50g on the scale and you reboot the machine the scales get zeroed. Then when you take the item off the scale it goes down to minus 50g, not up to plus 50g.

You know what I meant. It was late. :D:p
  • K33N3R
    K33N3R Posts: 38 Forumite
    How would it know how much 2 chillies, or any other lose fruit and veg are supposed to weigh?

At a self-checkout when you scan something the machine knows the weight, which is how they stop things from being stolen. If you scanned a box of cereal and put a chicken in the bagging area, it would tell you there was an unexpected item in the bagging area. Whereas if you scanned these chillies (I'm assuming the barcode sticker would let the machine know what weight they were when you put them on the scales) and put them in the bagging area, the machine would still expect more because they weighed so much less.
  • geordie_joe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    K33N3R wrote: »
    At a self-checkout when you scan something the machine knows the weight,

These were loose chillies, sold by weight. The machine had no way of knowing how many chillies were on the scales, or how much they should weigh. Which is why it charged 23p instead of 2p.
    which is how they stop things from being stolen. If you scanned a box of cereal and put a chicken in the bagging area, it would tell you there was an unexpected item in the bagging area.

Yes, but that is pre-packed stuff of a known weight.

The chillies could not have been pre-packed, because if they had been the machine would have known the weight and known that the item on the scale was the wrong weight, and it would have said so on the screen not just charge a higher price.
    Whereas if you scanned these chillies (I'm assuming the barcode sticker would let the machine know what weight they were when you put them on the scales)

They were loose chillies, I've never known a supermarket put barcode stickers on loose chillies. And even if they did, the machine would have spotted the weight difference and did as you said above, not just charge for more chillies.
  • geordie_joe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You know what I meant. It was late. :D:p

It was early when I posted, so that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :D
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    These were loose chillies, sold by weight. The machine had no way of knowing how many chillies were on the scales, or how much they should weigh. Which is why it charged 23p instead of 2p.

of course it knows how much it should weight.
    if the scale weights it at 50g, then the bagging area will expect 50g

but as the scale is out, and you only put 5g into the baggage area, it will flag up an error
  • [Deleted User]
    It was early when I posted, so that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :D

7.15am is not early. I have already been at work an hour and fifteen minutes at that time. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure