How dangerous are bycycle trailers for kids

Options
I have seen quite a few around recently but I find it very irresponsible that parents would risk their children this much ?

Comments

• Handsome90
    Handsome90 Posts: 505 Forumite
    Options
    nashly wrote: »
    I have seen quite a few around recently but I find it very irresponsible that parents would risk their children this much ?

I haven't heard of any crash involving a bicycle trailer. Perhaps because not many parents use them.
  • nashly
    nashly Posts: 384 Forumite
    Options
    Handsome90 wrote: »
    I haven't heard of any crash involving a bicycle trailer. Perhaps because not many parents use them.

I have not heard of any crashes involving them thank god either but I have noticed more of them, maybe as the weather is nicer they come out more, I just can't believe parents would risk their children this way as they can't see what is happening behind them ie a vehicle swerving towards them and the child takes the impact first !!!
  • Marco_Panettone
    Options
    I have not heard of any crashes involving them thank god either but I have noticed more of them, maybe as the weather is nicer they come out more, I just can't believe parents would risk their children this way as they can't see what is happening behind them ie a vehicle swerving towards them and the child takes the impact first !!!

So the danger you're concerned about doesn't come from the trailers, but from motorists? How is this any different from crossing the road, or walking with a pushchair?

Don't blame the (potential, currently non-existent!) victims, blame those that cause the danger (the drivers), and the councils who provide the environment that means the only legal place to cycle is with motor vehicles.
    It's only numbers.
  • sickparrot
    sickparrot Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    Saw a couple on the dual carrageway up from Keithley to Skipton last week when the TDF came through. Struck me as being particularly insane as just riding a bike on a dual carrageway is suicide.
    Out on blue six..
    It's Chips and Jackets, Peas and Trousers.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Have been using one for about 20yrs now. Have never had an accident nor any near misses. If a car driver cant see a 2ft wide, bright yellow trailer, with an orange flag waving 4ft in the air, then they should be the ones keeping off the road, as they are the danger.

I went over to using a trailer as whn using a rear mounted bicycle seat, the bike would tip over when stationary, due to the overload, and also drivers would pass too close. At least due to the width of the trailer they are forced to move over the central line, when oncoming traffic is clear, rather than try and squeeze past on a single carriageway.

When kids get older we use a tagalong. The child fhen wears a high-vis vest to increase visability to drivers. So again, we the cyclist arent the danger, its unobservant drivers who take too many risks
  • frisbeej
    frisbeej Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    sickparrot wrote: »
    Saw a couple on the dual carrageway up from Keithley to Skipton last week when the TDF came through. Struck me as being particularly insane as just riding a bike on a dual carrageway is suicide.

A lot of dual carriageways are no busier than single carriageway roads and have a wide paved verge.

And suicide is when you kill yourself, if a motorist ploughs into a cyclist it's homicide.
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    So it's irresponsible for parents to tow their kids in a purpose-built cycle trailer is it?

What's next? It's irresponsible for parents to allow a child to use a scooter without wearing a helmet?
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't think I'd use one. The chances of anything going wrong are probably low but the consequences catastrophic. The problem if the ride hight for the child is very low and it would only take a moment of inattention from a driver to rear end you and take out the trailer's occupant. Not a good idea IMO.
  • Cash-Cows
    Cash-Cows Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

If you've seen quite a few around that can only be good thing. Drivers should see these being a normal vehicle and act accordingly. You cannot miss them anyway due to their bulk and because they often have a flag. These things are very common in the Netherlands and it's great these are gaining in popularity here. Anything that reduces cars on the school run is a benefit.

Kids seem to love them too and helps to encourage a life time of cycling.
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sickparrot wrote: »

In my experience riding down a dual carriageway is far safer than riding on a normal A-road. The lanes on dual carriageways tend to be wider and there is often a decent width of tarmac between the slow lane and the kerb.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure