I'm thinking about solar and have a few questions.

Options
NickC.uk
NickC.uk Posts: 10 Forumite
edited 11 July 2014 at 9:40AM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
I'm in Plymouth and have had a quote from Project Solar (UK) for 9 panels giving a 2.34kW system. Sound like a good system and panels and inverter are guaranteed for 20 years (I don't know the makes). The price of the system is £6.5k, but they are offering a 'self-funding' loan so that it is cost-neutral for the first few years, and then when the loan is paid, we get all the benefits (especially the FITs part :D). The main problem is that with the cost of the system and the loan on offer, it is such a long time before we see any profit that it hardly seems worthwhile. The predicted saving on electricity seems very low too. I'm thinking I might be able to make the numbers look better if I get the loan and panels separately and get a better idea of what I might save. We have a south facing roof with virtually no shading.

So, my questions are:

1. £6.5k seems expensive now based on what else I have read in this forum. What is a good price for a decent system.
2. We spend £80/month on electricity at the moment. I know it depends hugely on usage, but how much can we expect to save (we can (and already do) run things like washing machine, dishwasher during the day).
3. What installers can people recommend for Plymouth?

Here's hoping!
Thanks.
Nick.

Comments

• tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It would help if you gave a bit more info, ie.. your approx roof size, in which direction it faces and pitch.

As for your quote....way toooo much for the size. Is there a reason your being quoted for a 2,34kWp system other than them taking you for a ride.
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • NickC.uk
    Options
    tunnel wrote: »
    It would help if you gave a bit more info, ie.. your approx roof size, in which direction it faces and pitch.

As for your quote....way toooo much for the size. Is there a reason your being quoted for a 2,34kWp system other than them taking you for a ride.

I'm just estimating as I am at work, but I think the area is about 22ft by 13ft (actual, not flat, iykwim) and the pitch is ~28deg. 2-3 deg off south facing.

Nick.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NickC.uk wrote: »
    I'm just estimating as I am at work, but I think the area is about 22ft by 13ft (actual, not flat, iykwim) and the pitch is ~28deg. 2-3 deg off south facing.

Nick.

Hiya Nick. Going metric, just for ease, that's about 6.7m by 4m. You'll need to allow about 300mm all round for various reasons, but that still means, based on your guess, that you may get 12 regular panels in.

They are approx 1m by 1.6m, so two rows totaling 6m by 3.2m. Perhaps 6.1m allowing for 20mm gap between each panel.

That's 12 * 250Wp, or 3kWp. There are some regular panels that are slightly more powerful, up to about 270Wp(ish), or more expensive panels that are smaller, so you may squeeze in 4kWp, but it will cost extra (per panel).

Leccy savings wise, see the PV FAQ. For a 3kWp system, you'd probably still be in the £80 to £160 range, so perhaps work on approx £120pa savings.

£6.5k does seem pretty expensive, recently, lots of people seem to be beating £6k for a 4kWp system.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looking at your rough figures you should be able to fit 2 rows of 6 panels on, panels are all roughly 1.6m x 1m or thereabouts.

Going on that then if you went for sunpowers or benQ panels which are 327W panels you could achieve a 3.92kWp system. For that you'd be looking at about £6500- £7000 depending on how hard you haggle.

Do you have anything that can cause shade?

Looks like Mart beat me to it...lol
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Sound like a good system and panels and inverter are guaranteed for 20 years (I don't know the makes).

Who guarantees the system for 20 years? The installer? the manufacturer? or a well known insurance company?

Personally I would be wary about any such guarantee.
  • NickC.uk
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Who guarantees the system for 20 years? The installer? the manufacturer? or a well known insurance company?

Personally I would be wary about any such guarantee.

I believe it was the manufacturer, but obviously I would need to know more if I was to go down this route.
  • mac2008
    mac2008 Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    I believe it was the manufacturer, but obviously I would need to know more if I was to go down this route.

Good point about the 20 years - who and is this an extended warranty? If so, how much is it costing? I doubt many inverters would last 20 years and assuming a replacement cost of c. £1k it could be a good deal, but check the terms carefully.

Regarding the price - yes, too much. I'd aim for no more than £5k for 2.5-3kWp. Also what is the loan APR? unsecured personal lending is very cheap ATM - well worth shopping around if you have to finance it.

Also a good point about the 327W panels - worth exploring.

I used Southern Solar and was very pleased with them - good technical knowledge on the survey and tidy install - might be worth a look.
    My PV system: South West England, 10x 250Wp Trina Solar panels, Fronius Inverter, South facing roof, 35° pitch with no shading.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Nick.

For info, if you get a 3kW system and are south facing with no shading then you should be able to get over 3000kWh of electricity generated each year which may be a bit higher than the standard numbers suggest.

The electricity each month can vary considerably. You can see how each month varies here

http://solar-panels-review.321web.co.uk/solar-panel-generation-months-compared.php

From Dec with 100kWh to over 400kWh for the best summer months. Obviously that means that you're likely to use all the electricity you generate in winter but not in the summer months. Your meter may go backwards if analogue in which case you'll effectively be able to use all your electricity until it is replaced.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    3. What installers can people recommend for Plymouth?
    Totnes Solar did mine, just over 2 years ago. I was very impressed with their attitude, although they were not the cheapest quote. I expect they cover Plymouth.
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family