PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sausage making, any tips?

Options
I have been frugal on our summer holiday this year and have some money left so have decided to purchase the attachment for my kenwood chef, so I can make our own burgers, sausages, meat loaves, mince etc.

Does anyone have any tips or recipes - especially to do with the sausage skins, and where to purchase these?

Many thanks :-)
Every days a School day!

Comments

• Jacksmummy
    Jacksmummy Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    No tips but I'll be following this thread as DH wants to buy an attachment for our kenwood so he can have a go at making his own sausages & burgers, he likes the idea of game sausages, not too sure how these would work though as I don't think I have ever come across a game sausage? but then again I'm sure you can put anything in them.
    G.C July £21.09/£100

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've often/usually had a funny thing about the skin of the sausage..... I'd be making skinless sausages :)
  • Chi-me
    Chi-me Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you buy your meat from a butcher tell him (or her) that you're making sausages and could you have some skin. I get my skins free with the pork. I burned my old motor out putting far too large lumps into my mincer attachment so chop them quite small or get ready minced from your butcher.

My favourite recipe is pork, sage, nutmeg, breadcrumbs, pepper and a teaspoon or so of tomato ketchup, the result is a fragrant, slightly sweetish sausage.

Another nice one is with smoked sweet paprika, reminiscent of chorizo.

It's great fun making sausages, my first few were... interesting?

Good luck and let us know how it goes and do post photos.
    :money:
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Our butcher sells various game sausages jacks mummy, from the basic venison and red wine to rabbit with I think prune or date, unfortunately I don't like game but I am sure they are delicious for those that do!
    Every days a School day!
  • Jacksmummy
    Jacksmummy Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    Oh really, I'll have a look next time I go into our local butchers, sausage is one thing I never buy from our butchers, we always have Korker sausages from our local farm shop.
    I don't like game meat either, its all far too rich for me.
    G.C July £21.09/£100

• Badrick
    Badrick Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 July 2014 at 9:59AM
    Options
    I buy the collagen skins from fleabay, as you don't have to keep them in brine or wash them before use.
    I get pork fat from a Chinese supermarket (a juicy sausage can contain around 20% fat), a lot of my herbs and spices come from Asian grocers, as they work out a lot cheaper than the tiny jars.
    One of the secrets of making a good sausage is to really mix well until mixture is sticky (2-3 minutes with K beater) and always fry a little to taste before filling, as you can adjust seasoning to taste.
    You can also make your own rusk (recipe on website below)
    For recipes, tips and advice take a look around http://forum.sausagemaking.org/
    And as a final tip, when you've minced all of the meat, put a couple of slices of bread through mincer to push the last bit of meat out.

If there's anything else you're unsure on, feel free to ask. ;)
    Mark Steyn has stated, "In the UK, everything is policed except crime."
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Many thanks for your replies! Can't wait to get started will need to order skins, rusks and seasonings. What kicked bought sausages into touch was I paid £6 for tesco finest and they were disgusting! I usually buy from the butcher so figured could through practice come up with premium sausages myself and know what exactly is in them, and will be quality not quantity that counts :-)
    Every days a School day!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport