PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Where can I get free flat pack boxes for a house move

Options
Hi can anyone advice me on where I can get free flat pack cardboard boxes for a house move?

Most supermarkets don't have any and whilst I have posted a request on re-cycle I haven't heard anything.

I live in Cambridgeshire and can collect.

Comments

• Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Options
    You have to be fairly quick to respond if you check out Freecycle/Freegle - I offered mine when I moved and had absolutely loads of requests for them.

Just make sure you keep checking your Inbox and keep watching the 'Offers' as well.
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My friend got hers from Morrisons but you have to phone up and request them and they save them for you.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My workmate had this same problem last week. All the supermarkets she tried said they were now required to crush them and the independent shop she tried had given theirs away the day before. She managed to get some from our workplace. Do you have any connections to anyone who works in a warehouse you could ask?
  • Mollsmum
    Mollsmum Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    I got some from my local B and M store, they have deliveries 6 days a week.
    I asked first and the man even helped put them in my car.
    Hope this helps.
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you know anyone that works in an office. We have stationery, IT stuff delivered every week and these are good strong boxes. We are required to flatten them too. To make them up just use the strong brown parcel tape.
  • Perfect10_2
    Perfect10_2 Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    McDonalds :) Have used then in all my four moves in the past six years. Lovely strong boxes and stack really well as you gradually pack more and more.
    Looking for the sunshine after the rain :cool:

Dealing with debt £1800 paid / £1800 cc :j
    Now aiming to be mortgage free...figures to follow ;)
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Could be worth asking at your local tip; ours lets people take boxes away for the asking, as long as they have some - which they nearly always do.
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • lollipopsarah
    lollipopsarah Posts: 1,333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My son works in Sainsbury and said that if you go in the morning and ask nicely someone from the warehouse will keep some for you.
    I also work in a shop and we are not supposed to give boxes out as we have to send them off for recycling (derrrrr!)
    He also suggested asking for banana boxes they are brilliant and they stack on top of each other.
    x
  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I second Mc D's...you'll need a roll of parcel tape to stick them back together at the base but they are really strong.

I have used them twice!!
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Check Freecycle, Freegle and Gumtree every day. They do come up on there but get snapped up quickly. You are more likely to succeed looking for offers that posting a wanted with this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure