Will try to be MF before retirement

Options
I have been reading all the posts on MFW for a while and this is giving me inspiration to start my own diary, I am hoping this will help me to at least pay a large chunk off my mortgage or be completely free. but I am a realist and with the 3 yrs we have left before retirement may be impossible, we have made a lot of wrong choices in our house sales and purchases along the way and now have left ourselves with a large morgage, and I have been ill in the middle of all this and have been unable to work for a few yrs. I am now back at work.

Not making excuses just trying to give you a picture.

So wish me luck and any tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• savingstartstoday
    Options
    Ok Just returned from work and wanted to carry on where I started this morning, I am getting hooked on this forum !
    I will try to list my overpayments (from where ) and savings.

All my overtime will be paid into OP
    OH expenses to be paid into OP
    Only 3 months left to pay for the car, after that pay into OP

These 3 OP amount to 750.00 per month extra per month, cant quite believe that myself !

I've got OH on the case as well, he is looking to do more agency work if possible, we will have to see how that goes.

and any vouchers from surveys, and d/m rewards, I have 10.00 now, I will pay into OP, I think this a good start, thanks to everyone for the motivation.
  • sammy70
    sammy70 Posts: 966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Good luck with your challenge. I find the best thing for me to keep motivated, is to set targets for us each month towards each savings /overpayment/etc goal .. Work out a realistic target and timescale to achieve it by , then push yourself to achieve the monthly ammount, hopefully some months you will beat your targets!

It is addictive!

X Sammy X :)
    current official end date of mortgage= 2037-aiming for 2030. mortgage balance start of challenge- 25/11/2016 £245,695 mortgage balance 01/04/24 - £133,477.09. 2024 challenge- get mortgage balance to £115,000 by xmas eve 2024, and a years outgoings in premium bonds again
    Make £13,968.47 in overpayments in 2024,save £15,000 for water system
  • savingstartstoday
    Options
    Hi Sammy,

Thanks for the encouragement, we are on holiday next week for 2 weeks so not a good time to start this, but hey ho. I will still be able to pay the OH expenses over this month and my overtime at the end of July.

I have to find out if Nram will accept very small OP as well, I am thinking of rounding up my bank account every day, or if I have to save it and send when reaches say 10.00, thinking little and often ! I have paid 10.00 in before as I have online facility.

I hope I am not boring you all, but I am hoping this will help in my quest.

I am also a trained Florist, and am thinking about advertising/ as freelance, weddings etc, may have to think about it when I get back from hols.

Not yet managed a NSD ! although I have set up a spreadsheet for our food and diesel spends, I am sure we can cut down on both.
  • Downsizing__for_sanity
    Downsizing__for_sanity Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 1 July 2014 at 11:46PM
    Options
    All sounds good SST. I am often on the OS boards and they are very good at helping you meal plan to cut your grocery bills. I need to figure out how to OP with RBS too - as I intend to put the cost of every little thing, like a coffee out that I forgo, in as an OP!

Ellie

DFS
  • QB_Wolf
    QB_Wolf Posts: 722 Forumite
    Options
    All sounds good SST. I am often on the OS boards and they are very good at helping you meal plan to cut your grocery bills. I need to figure out how to OP with RBS too - as I intend to put the cost of every little thing, like a coffee out that I forgo, in as an OP!

Ellie

DFS

You just need to ring RBS and they'll give you a sort code and account number, set that up in your internet banking and off you go.
    Start Date 16/09/2015
    Original amount outstanding = 225,000 Current amount outstanding =199,812
    Original LTV = 64% Current LTV = 49%
    Original Pay Off Date = Sep' 36 New Pay Off date = Sep' 36
    Original Dly Int = 17.17 New Dly Int = 17.17 Total OP = £1319.31
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think it is too late, we are the same age and I am planning to clear my mortgage before I am 60 (helped by a lump sum payment). And at this point of life paying off as much as possible whilst we are working is important. I would like to stay in this house for at least the next ten years and I can only do that if I am mortgage free. However much you manage to pay off will help come the point we are 60. Good luck.
  • savingstartstoday
    Options
    Hi Ellie (DFS )

Had a little chuckle at your post, subject to SST, then realised I haven't actually paid any OP yet, been good planning though don't you think !

And Tootallulah,

Its good to know I am not alone, (age wise) trying to be MF, we have lots of " if only's " behind us, which we cant change, I would love to be able to stay in this house, and the only way is to pay off as much as possible.

Thanks for your support

JJ
  • savingstartstoday
    Options
    Back now after a well earned rest and now back on form to start my quest, on the door mat was a voucher for 30.00 for a well known supermarket, so I will put the same in for MOP. and use the voucher for food this week. That's a start! :T

I am also clearing some other bills,
    1. our car will be fully paid in 3 months --saving 212.00
    2. another bill will be cleared in 4 months--saving 65.00
    3 Gas and Electric has been reduced from Aug by 37.00

314.00 will be paid into MOP in Nov 14.

It keeps me focused to keep a diary.

JJ
  • savingstartstoday
    Options
    Been reading more posts and I see most of you are Tilly tidying, so I have started, 2.93 into savings account, until this is say 10/20 £ then I pay into MOP, and its been a NSD today. JJ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure