Barclays getting tougher on basic accounts?

Options
I've just read the following, from a StepChange advisor, regarding Barclays not allowing a basic account when BR if they are / were a creditor. Is this true does anyone know?

Here's the text from the 'Ask StepChange' sticky thread:

"Barclays are currently the only high-street bank that will offer bank accounts to undischarged bankrupts. They’ve told us recently that they’ll shut accounts down if the person going bankrupt had Barclays debts (including Barclaycard). In practice this might not happen in every case but if they know there are Barclays debts included in the bankruptcy they’re likely to close the account down."

Comments

• alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Options
    If going with Barclays, why not open the account after the BR petition date?
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • lilybankrupt
    lilybankrupt Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    It depends I suppose whether they 'wipe the slate clean' after BR or whether they will refuse to open an account at all if they were part of the BR debts.

I have two accounts with Co-op which is good, I just worry about having no options at all if something went wrong with Co-op :(
    alastairq wrote: »
    If going with Barclays, why not open the account after the BR petition date?
  • alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Options
    Why not pop in to a BArclays, and simply apply to open an account?

If all is OK , then that answers a question...if not, then that does the same?

If you do, let us know the outcome? :)
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • welshmatt85
    Options
    I had debts with Barclays both on credit cards and with my current account, and I then opened a basic account with them which I opened after the BR date and all has been fine :)

My BR ends on Monday so Tuesday I'm going straight to Barclays to get my internet banking up and running ha!
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ...My BR ends on Monday so Tuesday I'm going straight to Barclays to get my internet banking up and running ha!

Don't forget to take a copy of the print out of your discharge date from the IS service website - which is what I did yesterday :( I just assumed they would look it up on the IS register online - but no - I have to look it up and email it to them before they remove the markers from my account...
  • nervousandready
    Options
    I opened a Barclays basic account the day before I went BR - I told them I was going to be BR the following day. I owed Barclaycard a substantial amount, but this did not seem to matter - they opened the account and the local branch could not have been more supportive. In the early days I was in there almost everyday asking for balances (the ATM balances are always hours behind), and I have to say that they helped me so much in the early days when I was coming of ESA and housing benefit. I opened account in January this year -
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure