Running can be easy!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
17 replies 2.3K views
yessie1209yessie1209 Forumite
16 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
Just a note for all people looking to start getting fit but don't want to spend a fortune or put themselves through hell in some crazy fitness class.

I started the 5k runner app in Feb and it's been a total success! Ive lost nearly a stone and 2 inches from around my waist, hips and thighs!

Deff recommend :)

Replies

• Ive been running for 4 years now after my then 6 year old wanted to do the sport relief mile. Ive never looked back and cant imagine stopping

Blimey, where did you start and where are you now?
  • As you will have seen I am doing my first ultra on Sunday – it is 52.4miles, I’ve never done anything more than a half-marathon competitively before (although of course I have well exceeded this now in my training runs for my ultra).

Any tips or hints or advice? What is the furthest you have run and how did you find it?
  • yessie1209 wrote: »
    Just a note for all people looking to start getting fit but don't want to spend a fortune or put themselves through hell in some crazy fitness class.

I started the 5k runner app in Feb and it's been a total success! Ive lost nearly a stone and 2 inches from around my waist, hips and thighs!

Deff recommend :)

Good for you, really well done, but Id rather put myself through hell in the classes

To date Ive done one half marathon, a few 10ks, several 5s, a couple of triathlons, a sprint and a longer distance with a 5 mile run at the end and nothing will ever make me want to run on a more regular basis. No matter how fit I am, I never seem to have the stamina to run.
  • I've recently started running, doing the add 3 miles here and there! I'm quite comfortable doing this distance now and want to up it a little! Any tips or advice on how much further i should run, don't want to over do it!
  • brfc1995 wrote: »
    I've recently started running, doing the add 3 miles here and there! I'm quite comfortable doing this distance now and want to up it a little! Any tips or advice on how much further i should run, don't want to over do it!
    Do as much as you feel you can do, your body will tell you when to stop.
  • Indie_KidIndie_Kid Forumite
    23.1K Posts
    brfc1995 wrote: »
    I've recently started running, doing the add 3 miles here and there! I'm quite comfortable doing this distance now and want to up it a little! Any tips or advice on how much further i should run, don't want to over do it!

Increase your long run by 10% each week.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • donglemousedonglemouse Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    brfc1995 wrote: »

if you like structure you will find plenty of free training programs and/or apps designed to take your from where you are now (5k) upto say 10k over a period of 12 weeks or thereabouts
    23.1K Posts
    Do as much as you feel you can do, your body will tell you when to stop.

Ignore this. You will risk a potentially serious injury. Been there and done that.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • edited 11 July 2014 at 2:22PM
    fufu_banterwaitefufu_banterwaite
    1.6K Posts
    edited 11 July 2014 at 2:22PM
    Indie_Kid wrote: »
    Ignore this. You will risk a potentially serious injury. Been there and done that.

Ignore this advice and listen to your body. If it is telling you to stop you will know. An injury won't just suddenly appear without warning. Do as much as you feel comfortable with. You know how much you can do better than any of us.

If I followed the 10% increase rule it would be a waste of my time. When I came back from 18 months travelling with no exercise on one of my first days back I went out and ran 9miles without a problem.

Everyone is different, just do what you feel you can do.
    23.1K Posts
    Ignore this advice and listen to your body. If it is telling you to stop you will know. An injury won't just suddenly appear without warning. Do as much as you feel comfortable with. You know how much you can do better than any of us.

You're suggesting to do as much as you can before your body tells you to stop. That is silly. Why else would there be couch 2 5k, etc? And why the sports therapist give me a plan designed to get me back to where I want to be, instead of telling me to run as far as I can?
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs