🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

DLA and JSA?

Options
Hi there,

My daughter who is now 20 and registered as disabled currently receives DLA. She has just finished college (today).

One of the advisors at college has suggested that she can claim jobseekers allowance since she is now available for work over the summer.

I know this is probably a stupid question but can she claim jobseekers allowance if she is disabled and in receipt of DLA?

I will need to sort this out on her behalf since she cannot do it herself but i don't want to look like an idiot when i phone to make her an appointment at the job centre.

Many thanks

Comments

• Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    She can claim both ...DLA isn't an income related benefit, there should be a a DWP officer in the job centre who deals with disabled clients so they will be able to help and advise your daughter.
  • busy_mom_2
    busy_mom_2 Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As above, provided your daughter is available and actively seeking employment then yes she can make a claim and will be assesed for entitlement to JSA the same as anyone else.

What has she been studying at college?
  • Danniella
    Danniella Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    Poppie68 wrote: »
    She can claim both ...DLA isn't an income related benefit, there should be a a DWP officer in the job centre who deals with disabled clients so they will be able to help and advise your daughter.

Thank you so much for your advice. We have an appointment at the job centre on Friday.

Thanks once again.
  • Danniella
    Danniella Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    busy_mom wrote: »
    As above, provided your daughter is available and actively seeking employment then yes she can make a claim and will be assesed for entitlement to JSA the same as anyone else.

What has she been studying at college?

She has been doing the Teaching Assistant's course Level 2. Many thanks for your message. We have an appointment at the job centre this coming Friday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport