We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Endowment issue

I purchased an endowment policy on 10th August 1988. I understand that the company who sold me the policy is no longer in business. I have been told by the FCS and FSCS that I cannot get compensation as the compensation scheme started on 25th August 1988 ie 15 days after I took out my policy! What can I do? Has anyone else had this issue and had any success?

Comments

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,888
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 25 June 2014 at 1:42PM
    What can I do?

    nothing
    Has anyone else had this issue and had any success?
    plenty have. there is nothing you can do.

    It is a line in the sand. If you are on the wrong side of the line, then there is nothing you can do about it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Why have you waited until now to take any action?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,857
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It wasn't compensation anyway. It was putting you back in the position you would have been in if you had taken out a repayment mortgage.


    If you took it out in 1988, surely it must be nearly time for maturity.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,888
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you took it out in 1988, surely it must be nearly time for maturity.

    Good point. In 1988, 25 years or less was typical. 25 years would have seen a 2013 maturity.

    There is also the issue of the time bar. Most endowments were timebarred from complaint by 2009. (some as early as 2004).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.