All done and dusted!!

Options
Hi all

Well, I'm bankrupt. It really hasn't sunk in yet but today does feel - different.

My appointment was at 9:30am so we arrived about 9:15 just as they were opening up.

I was dealt with really quickly by the BR clerk (less than 10 minutes). She was very impressed with my forms and said everything was in order. She then asked me for my £705 fee!! Apparently the court fee increased in April to £180 (this might be just my court, i'm not sure). Fortunately, my mum gave my kids some treat money at the weekend and I had kept hold of it for safe keeping - haha thanks kids, i'll pay you back.

I then had to wait for about 20 minutes for the clerk to "find a judge". The waiting room was really busy by this point. One negative around this is that another clerk called me over by saying "Miss xx for bankruptcy please, Miss xx for bankruptcy"!! Not very professional and VERY embarassing. I did hear him call other people but he didn't call out what they were there for so not sure why he had to with me.

I went in front of a lovely judge - the clerk said to call him Judge or Sir which I did once or twice but then just answered yes or no. I was in there less than 5 minutes. He gave me a letter with details on what happens next and then I was done. My friend held my hand and gave me a gentle squeeze every now and then - I was shaking like a leaf.

We were on our way to breakfast by around 10:10am.

I'm at home now just waiting for the OR to call sometime this afternoon. Its just a quick 5 minute call today.

So that's it - painless. I'm looking forward to speaking to the OR today. I'm hoping that this will calm my worries once I have had that initial contact.

WW

Comments

• owlet
    owlet Posts: 1,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done, I'm pleased it went well for you. I think the hardest part of the whole process is filling in the forms!!
    Hope you get a nice OR, mine is lovely. My case was very simple and straightforward and the phone call with the OR the next day (which I didn't know was going to happen ) lasted about ten minutes and he said that was all he needed. I was pleased with that because I didn't have time to panic!
    Good luck :-)
    SPC 8 (2015) #485 TOTAL: £334.65
    SPC 9 (2016) #485 TOTAL £84
    SPC 10 (2017) # 485 TOTAL: £464.80
    SPC 11 (2018) #485
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello there,

I'm glad to read that you found the process straightforward. I'm hoping that you find your interaction with the Official Receiver just as easy. You're certainly past the worst of it now!

Very best wishes,

David @ National Debtline.
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Helpmeoutofthismess
    Options
    Hi WW, so glad it went ok!

The court clerk at my local court did the hollering 'Mrs H for bankruptcy' over the busy waiting room as well, talk about the walk of shame! Oh well, I'm sure the other people there had more pressing things on their minds than our bankruptcies!

It was lucky you had the extra few £1's on you! Did you check to see if you are entitled to any remission of the court fee's? You can claim some money back if you do!

Fingers crossed your OR is as nice as mine, mine was lovely and not at all judgmental :D

H x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport