We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

10 Yr Old Debt Not On Credit Report... Knock on effect!!! HELP!

Options
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Give them there computer back as your moral obligation :rotfl:
  • mikeeee
    mikeeee Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Yant1 wrote: »
    Give them there computer back as your moral obligation :rotfl:

That was the thing.... it arrived brand new boxed and everything, turned it on and zip nothing. Deamed D.O.A. dead on arrival, replaced it. New one didn't work with graphics card they fitted, so it went back, replaced the motherboard, but then then it wasn't compatible with the monitor etc.

So being a student after I graduated, I was like whatever, it never worked and you've now gone bankrupt. Then I forgot about it.
  • mikeeee
    mikeeee Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, the debt is statute-barred and so you don't have to pay it, PROVIDED that you have not "acknowledged" it, nor made any payment, in the last six years.

I am just worried by the mention of different payment options and the discussion with the account manager: if you have made any kind of written offer of payment then you have re-opened the debt.

It was also not a good move to tell the account manager that you are applying for a mortgage. They could threaten to take you to court over the debt: if they were to do so they could still obtain a CCJ, which would of course make it difficult to get a mortgage. (In practice, I hope that any credit searches etc would have been completed before they could do this.)

I didn't actually make any agreement in the call saying I would pay it... she kept saying well with your monthly income I believe you can afford....

If there was a ccj applied in 1998, can they apply for an addiitonal one?
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunately, the fact that there IS a CCJ, means that this debt is not covered by the statute of limitations. However, if you were unaware of the CCJ, and never received a Court Summons, then you can apply for the CCJ to be set aside.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family