PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Storing hard boiled eggs

Options
I have an egg to use before tomorrow (use by date) as we are away for a few days.
I have already had eggs for breakfast so was wondering whether if I hard boiled the last egg, would it keep until at least Monday in the fridge?
Not sure how use by dates work for raw food when you cook it!
Thanks

Comments

• Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The egg should be OK in the fridge as it is. It could even be OK in a cardboard egg box in a cool, dry cupboard.

Use by dates are ... how can I put this kindly? ... 'conservative' and probably calculated by lawyers rather than cooks. And the Mk.1 egg has a natural packaging that product designers can only dream of.

But, hard boiled and in the fridge, it should also be fine.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sm1971 wrote: »
    I have an egg to use before tomorrow (use by date) as we are away for a few days.
    I have already had eggs for breakfast so was wondering whether if I hard boiled the last egg, would it keep until at least Monday in the fridge?
    Not sure how use by dates work for raw food when you cook it!
    Thanks

I'd leave it where it is, how it is

You have at least three weeks more life in that egg yet

To test the freshness of an egg, fill a glass with water and drop the egg in. If it sinks it's fresh, if it floats it's rotten. Half way and it's still perfectly edible, just not good for anything that needs whisked egg whites

As an egg ages the whites shrink back and the egg contains more air, hence the older the egg the more it will float
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Strangely, hard boiled eggs don't keep that long, whereas uncooked and kept in a cool place they last quite a while. I'd leave it raw in the fridge if it's only a few days.
    Better is good enough.
  • sm1971
    sm1971 Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for the advice - it's already past it's best before (which I ignore) but I just wan't so sure about use by for eggs, but I'll remember the freshness test - had forgotten that!
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All this for the sake of saving 1 egg, personally, I would just chuck it in the bin and not think about it again.....
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd just scoff it. I just had a hard boiled egg for lunch - nothing else, just that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport