We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Buy to let abroad help

Hi all,

I own my property outright, no mortgage. I have 30k sitting in a premium bond account and I'm considering putting it toward an apartment in Barcelona with a view of taking a £100k mortgage. I would like to receive rental income and use it myself to visit occasionally.

As I've never had a mortgage, would it be difficult for me to obtain a buy to let one? Is it a risky move? All advice very much appreciated.

Comments

  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Would it be difficult? You would need to talk to the banks in Spain as I doubt a UK bank will be willing to provide any sort of mortgage for an overseas property
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • suziqqq
    suziqqq Posts: 293 Forumite
    As above you will need to get a mortgage in spain
    If i knew the answers to all the questions i wouldn't be on here :p
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    pontneuf wrote: »
    I would like to receive rental income and use it myself to visit occasionally.

    Worth reading up on the Spanish tax system.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.