Are Value Buys a False Economy?

Options
anotheruser
anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
In your opinion are value items a false economy?

I often think with items such as mince or sausages, those are acceptable, albeit perhaps not being as healthy or tasting as nice. But moving on to things like washing powder, washing up liquid and sponges - are they really good value?

I personally buy the Smart Price sponges (with the green scourer on) because at 28p for 8, they are pretty good value and I make one last at least 3 weeks.

Washing powder, well I use own brand Gel as it foams better than powder, which doesn't always dissolve.

Washing up liquid I use own brand again but would look at going down to the smart price for a test.

I'm interested to see what others buy value range or why they buy the more expensive item when a value range item is available.

Comments

• MrsRogers
    MrsRogers Posts: 631 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I guess it all depends on what you buy.

I personally switched from the big four value brands to doing my shopping at Aldi. The quality and price of items are so much better. Eg aldi washing up liquid is as good as fairy.

On the things I can't find an equally version of eg oxo's & Heinz tomato ketchup I buy them from homebargins at a much cheaper price.

Reducing price doesn't bean it should be inferior quality... Just trail and error. :)
    Goal - We want to be mortgages free :j

I Quit Smoking March 2010 :T
  • citykid5
    citykid5 Posts: 821 Forumite
    Options
    Don't buy cheap dunlop fishing weights from sports direct, hard as iron chipped my front tooth puting them on my line.
    All for the sake of saving a quid ������
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options

I often think with items such as mince or sausages, those are acceptable, albeit perhaps not being as healthy or tasting as nice. But moving on to things like washing powder, washing up liquid and sponges - are they really good value?

Those are the things I wouldn't buy from the value range! I downshift on most things in my shopping basket except meat. I try and buy organic where I can.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Those are the things I wouldn't buy from the value range! I downshift on most things in my shopping basket except meat. I try and buy organic where I can.

I thought exactly that. I'm delighted with all the basics I get from Aldi (fruit and veg, tinned stuff, pasta, rice, milk, eggs, cheeses etc) but I wouldn't downsize to value meat.

I still might buy from Aldi (or otherwise Sainsbury's) but I'm careful to buy, for example, the lowest fat versions of mince and decent steaks. I want to be as mse as possible but I draw the line at eating loads of fat in the meat and fillers in the sausages.
  • pawsies
    pawsies Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think washing up liquid is. Cheap value ones can be so watery. Similarly, things like baked beans can be watery.

Frozen veg (eg farmfoods 3 for £2) tends to be ok though and healthier than fresh. It depends if you can compromise on some veg being more watery like broccoli.
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always buy own brand or Aldi/Lidl. I only buy brand if on offer and cheaper. Only except is Coffee!

Only value item I like is Tesco's tomato ketchup! It's running and odd tasting but I love it! I've blind tested family with Tesco and Heinz tomato ketchup and although they swear they prefer Heinz they all chose Tesco!

Value washing up liquid is thin and watery. Dishwasher tablets are not brill either. I don't buy meat so can't comment but Tesco own brand veggie mince is as good as Quorn.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Refuse to buy value meat products. The supermarket's value mince is like 23.5g fat per 100g. I rather have quality over quantity with meat.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pawsies wrote: »
    I think washing up liquid is. Cheap value ones can be so watery. Similarly, things like baked beans can be watery.

Frozen veg (eg farmfoods 3 for £2) tends to be ok though and healthier than fresh. It depends if you can compromise on some veg being more watery like broccoli.
    Poppy9 wrote: »
    I always buy own brand or Aldi/Lidl. I only buy brand if on offer and cheaper. Only except is Coffee!

Value washing up liquid is thin and watery. Dishwasher tablets are not brill either. I don't buy meat so can't comment but Tesco own brand veggie mince is as good as Quorn.

I can recommend Aldi's Magnum washing up liquid. It's every bit as good as Fairy and has won Good Housekeeping awards.

And I'm a big fan of Lidl's dishwasher stuff: plain tablets, rinse aid and salt in a box with an excellent dispenser.
  • LondonGal
    LondonGal Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    We love Aldi's washing gel - better than any branded washing powders / liquids and much cheaper.
    If you want proper advice, please consult a legal professional. I am not one! Thanks.
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I personally buy the Smart Price sponges (with the green scourer on) because at 28p for 8, they are pretty good value and I make one last at least 3 weeks

I would much rather but value washing powder, washing up liquid & sponges than value mince or sausages (which I wouldn't buy).
    I do actually make a point of buying the real value sponges, then I change every couple of days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure