'Smart' TV - benefits ??

in Techie Stuff
20 replies 1.9K views
Thinking of buying a new TV, Samsung seems the best picture quality - but undecided between 39" at £379 or 40" Smart TV at £399 .

What are the benefits of spending the extra £20.00 ? That is what does 'Smart' TV give me.

And, if its relevant - I'm on Virgin Media Cable TV.

LFttC
I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard

Replies

• RobTangRobTang Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Its nice not having a separate remote / device for iPlayer, itv player, 4od, Netflix, Lovefilm etc and direct streaming of video files off my NAS / PC.

The Samsung TVs also act as a miracast receiver so you can screen mirror anything supports it (higher end Samsung tablets, intel laptops etc)
    It can also to the reverse for certain video sources: show what's on the TV on your phone/tablet
  • no1catmanno1catman Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    Rob Tang:

I don't have a smart 'phone or tablet, and my (cable) PC is upstairs.
  • I'm no nothing about technology but when I was window shopping for a new tv I was told that a 40" tv of that price range would have very poor picture quality especially if it was meant to be a smart tv. I was told that it is best to spend that amount of money on a 38" tv or if you really want a 40" pay a couple of hundred extra to get a good quality picture.

Like I said I know nothing about tvs or technology in general but that was the advice I was given.
  • vacheronvacheron Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    One main reason for my Samsung smart TV's... Plex!. :)

Everything else I can take or leave as I have enough Computers and tablets around the house, however it is nice to be able to use a smartphone as a remote control and throw youtube videos from it to the big screen.
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • RumRatRumRat Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    £20? For so little, it's not even worth the dilemma. Go for the smart If you don't like it you can always return it.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • I_have_spokenI_have_spoken PPR
    5.1K Posts
    Forumite
    That is what does 'Smart' TV give me.

http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/televisions/article/buying/what-is-smart-tv-

Samsung smart TVs offer apps from all the major UK catch-up TV services - BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and Demand 5. You can also stream movies via Netflix and LoveFilm, or use social networking apps such as Facebook and Twitter. Alongside a good range of pre-loaded apps, Samsung TVs have an app store for you to download more.

You can usually browse the web on Samsung smart TVs, and some of the higher-end models have special remote controls with laptop-style trackpads for controlling the features. This is useful, as our testing has revealed that it can be tricky to do tasks with just a standard Samsung remote control.
  • penrhynpenrhyn Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Do you have Sky Virgin or YouView?

If so the case for a Smart TV is diminished. Smart TVs are usually abandoned by their manufacturers after a couple of years, i.e no more updates.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • CuddlesTCCuddlesTC Forumite
    148 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    My smart tv really came into its own when my Tivo died - thanks to the catch-up apps I missed very few programmes in the week until the Tivo was replaced.
  • no1catmanno1catman Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    CuddlesTC wrote: »
    My smart tv really came into its own when my Tivo died - thanks to the catch-up apps I missed very few programmes in the week until the Tivo was replaced.

After talking to Virgin - that appears to be the catch! I don't have Tivo - in order to benefit from a Hd & especially a 'smart' TV I need a Tivo installed.
    Which means, £50.00 installed and about another £5.00 a month for the 'package'.

Decisions, decisions!!
  • penrhynpenrhyn Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    As an a example of Samsung failing to support 3 year old smart TVs, the Amazon Instant Video App and the Crackle App disappeared yesterday.

Waithing for the Amazon Fire Tv or maybe a Chromecast if the UK support improves.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals