Hair Colour Query

I currently have blonde highlighted hair, but it is looking a bit I
"iffy" now as I have started to get a fair bit of grey so it looks a bit wishy washy. I gave freckles and greenly blue eyes.

Anyway I have got an overwhelming urge to do my hair a light auburn using a box colour. My original hair colour was light coppery colour. I have had mixed results in the past with box colours and wondered if anyone could recommend a brand, as being better than another IYKWIM.

I think that box colours seem to always come out darker than you would think - is that right?
Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!

Comments

• My advice, dont do it! When you're changing your colour, always go to a salon. Buying a box dye when you're not 100% sure how it will turn out could turn into a costly mistake if you need a salon to fix it.

I get my hair coloured all the time - blond to whitr blond to chocolate brown and back to blond and I always go to a salon. Ive used box dyes before and always regretted it.
  • PlymouthMaid
    PlymouthMaid Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I switched to box dyes from salon jobs 2 years ago with no problems and have saved a fortune. However, for a drastic change I think you should go to a salon as you will probably get horribly patchy results unless you are very good at applying it. I use Garnier Nutrisse and even my hair stylist compliments it and it is a perfect match for my previous salon colour.
    "'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
    Try to make ends meet
    You're a slave to money then you die"
  • codemonkey
    codemonkey Posts: 6,534 Forumite
    I've been dying my hair using boxed dyes for over 20 years and have made every mistake in the book, most are easily fixable. If you do want to change colour with a boxed dye, do it gradually, going no more than 1-2 shades darker at any time. If your hair is longer than shoulder length, then buy 2 boxes (this should reduce patchiness). Also as your hair is going grey, get one designed to cover 100% greys (they don't all do that). Maybe intially try a semi-permanent to ease into it?
    Eu não sou uma tartaruga. Eu sou um codigopombo.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, it will be dark than shown on the box. Oh you might end up with some greenish tones in the hair. Happened to be long ago, I decided to go darker from ash blond(I am a natural blond but now mainly silver grey mixed with dark blond), so decided to go dark blond. I ended up brownish with green. Had to go to the hairdresser to sort it out.
  • As everyone else has said, if your wanting to change hair colour your initially best bet is to get a hairdresser to do it. Then if you wish after that you could use a box colour.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure