Where to buy 1.74 index varifocals

Options
My independent optician price's keep going up so I'm looking at alternatives. I am a high myope needing varifocals, so need 1.74 index. I am prepared to pay more for high quality varifocals, but don't want to pay extra for nothing.

On my short-list is two bricks and mortar opticians (Specsavers and Asda Opticians) and two online suppliers (Ciliary Blue and Thinlenses.co.uk)

I would prefer a bricks and mortar opticians (and don't mind paying a bit more for this) but online suppliers claim to have higher quality lenses for the same or lower prices.

ASDA are supposed to give you high index at no extra cost if you are myopic enough. But what is the quality like on their varifocals?

Specsavers have very cheap or free eye tests at present (including retinal photography). Do they have any good deals on high index varifocals? What is the quality like on their Pentax lenses?

With online suppliers, you have to get the PD distance measured correctly (and other fitting parameters?), but if you get them to reglaze would that avoid the potential fitting/measurement issues?

What would you recommend?

Comments

• dinglefoot
    dinglefoot Posts: 2,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 31 May 2014 at 11:24PM
    Options
    I can't vouch for any other companies, but Specsavers Pentax lenses are a good quality. They do a number of different offers. 2 for 1 is good if you require two pairs, or you can get one free as sunglasses (you get the frame and the same quality varifocal free but you'd have to pay for the high index lenses on the second pair). They do a varifocal offer where you get £49 off the cost of the varifocal as well...varifocals range from £49-£159, so it depends on your budget and your lifestyle. The cheapest ones aren't ideal for everyone and it probably wouldn't suit your prescription as it's high. The offers start from the £69 frames and frames with sprung hinges which tend to be better quality start from £85. All high index lenses have UltraClear (anti-reflective treatment) built into them (which usually costs £30).
    I'd think it would be risky buying varifocals online to be honest, especially if you are highly myopic, as the high prescription makes it even more important that the measurements are done correctly. Not only do your PD/OCs have to be accurate, the back vertex distance measurements need to be taken, as well as the heights of the varifocal.
    Hope that helps :)
    SPC '21 #075
  • arbroath_lass
    arbroath_lass Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    Options
    I have varifocals from Asda. I can't compare them to any other lenses as I've never had varifocals from anywhere else. I have found them to be excellent, though. I've not had any issues. I also have the 1.74 lenses due to my prescription.
  • Herongull
    Herongull Posts: 1,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for this.

If there are other measurements besides PD that have to be right, I'll go for bricks and mortar opticians for peace of mind.

I'm going to check out both ASDA and Specsavers.

How do the ASDA £99 varifocals compare to the Specsavers grades: standard, premium or elite? Can you pay a bit more in ASDA to upgrade the varifocals to more advanced ones?

Tesco Opticians are doing free sight tests at the moment - what are their specs like? Specsavers have either free or £5 sight tests (including retinal photography) depending on which offer you go for until late June.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I, too, am wearing Asda varifocals (1.74 index), not having worn varifocals before. But check the small print, they only offer varifocals up to a certain level of prescription, I was borderline.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 1 June 2014 at 9:30PM
    Options
    i don't wear varifocals but do have the 1.74 thin lenses. Just a note on the specsavers offers the two for one only includes standard lenses (and I think varifocals) it does not include the cost of thinner lenses so these offers are not really worth it as you have to pay out for two lots of thin lenses which works out expensive :(

If you do decide to go to specsavers then I recommend buying the cheapest pair of glass they do for £25 and have standard lenses fitted. You will then get a 50% off voucher to use on you next purchase which is 50% off total price (thin lenses and frames). Donate the glasses to charity as the voucher will save you lots more than the £25 you paid for it.

Does any one know where I can find out more about the ASDA offer of free thin lenses ie what index lens will they supply free with my prescription. There is not an ASDA optician near me but it might be worth travelling to one.
  • lolly5648
    lolly5648 Posts: 2,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I went into Asda yesterday and they told me they use Hoya lenses for the 1.74 index. My prescription is -7.25 which qualifies for the higher index.
  • aggypanthus
    aggypanthus Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have worn an asda pair for 3/4 yrs, very pleased, but the 2nd pair I chose were less comfortable so rarely worn.
    BUT...6 mnths ago I got another 2 pairs which are not so good, as the polished edges show up white against the plastic frame.
    I still think they do a good service but its vital to get expert advice on choosing frames.
    I plan to go to specsvers next as the prices have come down and they now have 3 mnth satisfaction warranty
  • Tombola591
    Tombola591 Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    Like Iammumtone, I don't wear varifocals (yet) but have a complex prescription so do have the 1.74 thin lenses.

I'm also considering Asda opticians, and also don't live near one - but would travel if it's worth it.

Does anyone (with a strong prescription) know approximately how long they take to make their glasses? My prescription's -10 in one eye and I've always had to wait a week or two for new glasses (I've not found anywhere yet that's been able to make them up on the same day).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure