here i go again.. this time i mean it

I've managed to get myself into a bit a bother truthfully. I started the year with great plans, get myself out of overdraft, save some money, but it never happened. So now im in a situation where I am 1500 into my OD, finishing my job mid july and the next one starts in september. I need to find a place to live in southampton, have to have enough for the first months rent and deposit.

My goal is to do no frivoulous spending over the next few months, and keep as much as possible in my bank account. I'll do a full statement of accounts next week. I have plenty of food in my freezer, so I intend to eat it empty, and bags of junk which I will either ebay / take to HnM for the 5pounds voucher. Here goes it all :) I thank you guys for your support in advance
Current debt
1. OD [STRIKE]-1238[/STRIKE]-993
2. laptop on credit - 470 left to pay of
3. 796 family loan.
Pay of debt 1+2 by 31st Dec 2014

Comments

• aartisuk
    aartisuk Posts: 60 Forumite
    So
    Here we go

Current bank balance = £-1489.43

I owe - my overdraft (they'll start charging me interest in 6 months)
    Laptop £880
    Family loan - 796

Monthly outgoings and in goings
    Current monthly income 1700.90

Rent - 330 (bills included)
    Car - 100
    Train tickets - 150
    Gym - 48
    RAC - 10
    Netflix - 3.50
    Food - 150
    laptop - 110
    = 901.5

I also cashed a cheque of 97.43 on friday woo :)

so once all that clears through - pay day is next thursday. my bank balance will be -592.6

I appreciate that I haven't left any room for free spending. I still need to plan my month and figure out how much i'm spending on general fun activities. I have quit my gym membership, it stops in july, and I'm going to see how I get on with home workouts and see if I can manage without the gym :)
    Current debt
    3. 796 family loan.
  • aartisuk
    Pay Day came early! which was handy because I had to do a food shop. Spends we're minimal this week as I don't have too much to buy, but I have a weekly dinner with friends every tuesday and its my turn to cook.
    11.93 spent on food.

Truly so far, it's been an utterly productive day

Spent an hour on hold with HMRC trying to sort out my taxes. I want to claim for buisiness expenses and get some more money in my pocket! Apparently it'll take another hour to sort out, but the lady was really lovely and helpful!
    I put 110 into my laptop loan :)
    Catalogued my fridge/freezer/cupboard because I need to eat it up before I leave this place
    Planned my food for the week
    heading to the gym in a little bit

when I get back I need to pay one of my friends for a ticket for a show in august and book a hotel to stay in the night before my friends wedding. Still need to clean my room, sort out bits for ebay. It's happening folks
    Current debt
    3. 796 family loan.
  • aartisuk
    yesterday was great - no spend! today however not so much.
    I paid a friend for a ticket for a show in august, bought a few bits from tesco totalling 8pounds (Drain unblockers - theyre so expensive!!!) and then used my friends student discount to buy a pair of jeans.. £30 down to £22. None of mine fit properly atm but I may just send them back.

Apart from the silly spending, I've been productive. Started cleaning my room and am sorting between ebay and the rag bag now. I've got a whopping great big pile for ebay - mainly clothes, so hopefully there will be a bit of money coming in. Cleaned the bathroom too! So much cleaning!
    Current debt
    3. 796 family loan.
  • aartisuk
    at the moment, finances look rather bleak.
    I'm of work at the moment, taking staycation until the new job starts 27th august.
    Pay is approx 2000 after tax, however this is an average figure (It could be as low as 1600, or as high as 2400) I really am not sure

I've moved all my free cash out of my overdraft account, and I'm trying to spend as little there as possible.
    I owe £470 from my laptop loan to be paid of by the 21st of jan 2015
    approx £1000 from my overdraft - to be paid of by 31st Dec, I think they start charging me after this point, however I'll be going to the bank next week to double check.
    I also have a personal family loan of 796

The GDC will require I pay them £956 on the 31st of december
    Will need to pay for a new tax disc which will expire 27th December (145/225 depending on what I can afford)

So that means, I need to have £2761 all saved up and put away to pay everything off by december. What a daunting figure.

Providing I have a £2000 salary, my budget is going to look like this:

Rent (includes all utilities, internet etc) 400
    Rac: 10
    Netflix: 7
    Gym: 30
    BDA: 25.75
    Monthly spend ( travel, food, enjoyment, etc) 500 - i will break this down properly once I move and get an idea of how expensive it is in the new location

This leaves me with just over 1000 to make payments with
    laptop loan: 157/month ( should pay off using sept, oct + nov paycheck)
    family loan: 100
    overdraft: 370 to overdraft

savings: 370 to savings

If i snowball the 370, by december I should have 1480, in both overdraft and the savings to pay the GDC and cartax man. However this doesn't really leave me any extra incase of emergency problems :/
    Current debt
    3. 796 family loan.
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi aartisuk

I have just been nosing through your diary and you seem to have some good plans in place and when your new job starts a good chunk of money to throw at your debts.

I did notice that you said you won't have anything aside for emergencies and perhaps you should put aside something to start an emergency fund.

Good luck with your new job.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Just read your diary & noticed you are paying £7 per month for Netflix. If you look on ebay you can buy yearly Netflix passes for as little as £20.

Also, do you really need to use a gym ?.

Noticed payments to 'GDC' & 'BDA'. Are these something to do with your job?.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• aartisuk
    hello all, it's nice to know people out there are reading.

It's only 1.30 and its been quite a rubbish day. A client from my old job wrote a complaint letter last week, demanding reinbursment or a law suit. Immediately contacted my legal advice team who got back to me today and advised the best thing to do would be to reimburse as a gesture of goodwill as a way to avoid the lawsuit. :mad: Truthfully, it drives me mad, you work and work and work and no matter how much you try and continue working when someone flinches or how much you try and educate people about their own health it's never enough. You go into healthcare to HELP people, but some people don't want to be helped and instead just want a payout. So thats approx 200 pounds of my own money sent out in a cheque this morning.

However to cheer myself up, I did a spot of baking, and now have some beautiful cherry bakewell cupcakes in the fridge ( all no spend, had all the ingredients already). My sisters got a garden party to go to tonight so she can take those.

Tonight i'll be staying in and studying in preparation for the new job. Truthfully I'm scared witless, Its going to be hard, shifting from practice to a hospital environment and theres so much to remember. I still have 1 and a half weeks, so I can just do as much as I can.
    Current debt
    3. 796 family loan.
  • aartisuk
    patman99 wrote: »
    Just read your diary & noticed you are paying £7 per month for Netflix. If you look on ebay you can buy yearly Netflix passes for as little as £20.

Also, do you really need to use a gym ?.

Noticed payments to 'GDC' & 'BDA'. Are these something to do with your job?.

Hi patman, thanks for reading

the gym is a necessity im afraid. I need a way to take the stress out, and I like having a swimming pool etc. It's a 5 min walk from my place so it's much more convenient than finding a cheaper place which is further away.
    I'm considering giving up the netflix account but will have a look on ebay first and yes the BDA and GDC are both for my job. Extortionate but necessary.
    Current debt
    3. 796 family loan.
  • aartisuk
    Coming back for more today. Following my angryish post earlier heres what I've realised. Im a baby in the working world, I have lots to learn and I'm grateful for the complaint for the learning opportunity. I'm taking a hard training post that loads of people wanted but I got, so clearly I can get somewhere. And Finally, not all people are sucky, you get the odd one but generally people are grateful when you try and help them, and those are the people that make the job worthwhile.

Also following on from reading greying pilgrims thread
    3 things i'm grateful for today
    1. family; my sister helped make the cupcakes and we had so much fun
    2. internet - it's the world of knowledge, it has everything in it. SO much to learn :T
    3. stationary. I've cracked open new coloured pens today and seriously, I'm having a lot of fun
    Current debt
    3. 796 family loan.
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Bad news about the complaint aartisuk. I spent years in retail and grew to resent people and there greedy, moaning, money grabbing ways. It wasn't until I started to work with SEN students I got my faith back in humanity.

I'm sure many more people are appreciative of the help you give them. Keep you chin up.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure