If I retire in 20 years time....

Options
......aged 60 with a pension pot of about £375k and take 55k cash roughly what can I can expect as an annual income from the remaining £320k?

Thanks

Comments

• atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How are we to know what will happen in 20 years time investment/interest rates wise?

but as a general rule is that people DD abt 4-6% of their pot annually- usually the higher as that it today's GAD rate. The remainder is invested still to keep growing. so 12.8K to 19.2K approx. I would say the higher.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It will depend on annuity rates at the time, and I don't think anyone can tell you what they will be.

A current example would be about 5% (but you need to shop around, it can make a big difference).

At 5% of £320k your annual gross annuity would be £16,000. However, this could be completely different in 20 years' time.

If you are not in perfect health at the time you retire, you may be able to get an 'enhanced annuity' which will give a better rate.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    if you want an indexed linked income at 60 years old then think about 2.5% of the amount as an annual income
    you might get 5% flat rate but you might live 30 years and no index linking is a huge risk
  • LEP
    LEP Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Gives me a rough idea.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    6% is todays flat rate and closer to 3% is the indexed. This will change but as today's rates are historically low I would consider planning with them to be statistically safe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure