PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Birthday cake query

Options
I have found a nice looking recipe for a dairy-free cake for my grandson's first birthday, he can't eat dairy. It is supposed to be made in a bundt tin, and I have ordered one online, which I don't think will get here on time. If you cook it in the bundt tin ( it's a sort of swirl pattern with a dent, but not a huge hole in the middle) you should cook it for 70 mins. If I make it in an ordinary round cake tin would I alter the cooking time ? Don't have time ( or cash) to have to make it twice if I get it wrong). :)

Comments

• carriebradshaw
    carriebradshaw Posts: 1,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was wondering if you could put an empty can in the middle & make the bundt tin hole? googled and found this, don't know if it will help

http://www.thekitchn.com/kitchen-hack-diy-tube-pan-104312
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Options
    What is the recipe? You know you can take your favourite cake recipe and replace the butter with dairy free margarine (Pure brand is good) and any milk with your dairy free milk alternative of choice?
  • morganlefay
    morganlefay Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Here's a link to the recipe. It looks really nice to me ! Thanks daisiegg for tip re converting your own recipes, and thank you carriebradshaw for idea re tin: that seems a good way round it !

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/22406/apple-bundt-cake.aspx

and I could see myself using the cake tin a LOT, if only it would arrive !
  • sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I think it may take slightly longer as you haven't got the hole in the middle helping to cook the middle but will also depend how deep it is.
    I'd be checking it from about 50 min onwards to see how it was doing. I use a metal skewer to pierce the cake and if the skewer comes out clean & no crumbs its done.
    If its looking brown on top but not quite cooked put some tin foil over it.
    If you are using a fan oven they often recomend you dropping the temperature by 5 - 10 degrees but very much depends on the oven.
    Sounds a delicious cake !
    Jen
  • morganlefay
    morganlefay Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    AHA, and just because kind people gave me helpful advice about how to make a 'sort of' bundt cake tin THE ONE I ORDERED FROM AMAZON TURNED UP when they had said it would be delivered tomorrow (too late) HOORAY, many thanks everyone. If I hadnt asked the question and got such helpful replies the tin would probably have arrived on Monday !
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Options
    How did the cake turn out ? :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business