PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to keep cupcakes fresh

Options
I've been asked to bake for a fund raising event and want to do iced cup cakes.
It is on a Saturday but I am working all day Friday and Saturday 12 hour shifts.
Will it be alright to bake and ice the cakes on Thursday?
It's the best I can do !!
Thanks in advance.
Jue :)

Comments

• jue
    jue Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Bump's thread in the hopes someone can help me :-)
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    Choose a very moist recipe (carrot cake etc) and add a tiny drop of glycerine to the mix.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Options
    It is a bit early to bake on Thursday for Saturday with sponge, iced cakes.
    Fruit cake would be better.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • skogar
    skogar Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cupcakes freeze well so you could maybe make them before, freeze them and ice on the day. Or make something that keeps a bit longer like fruit loaf or flapjacks.
    2024 Fashion on the Ration - 61.5/66.5 coupons remaining
    1 cardigan
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Try the same with sandwiches.

Wet some kitchen roll and lay it over the bread to keep them fresh.
  • Savannah02K
    Savannah02K Posts: 307 Forumite
    edited 27 May 2014 at 12:59PM
    Options
    It's funny, I was only saying to a friend yesterday, that for various reasons, the last two sponge cakes I've made, I've had to freeze for a few days as I wouldn't have time to make and decorate the cakes on the day they were required and each time, I thought the sponge tasted better. I'm not sure if it's something to do with the liquid content in the sponge (I'm no chemist!) but honestly, they tasted more moist through being in the freezer and then allowed to defrost for a couple of hours on my cooling tray.

You can also make the buttercream and freeze that until ready to use, I've done that loads of time, you might need to thin it (a very) little bit with some milk or flavouring to loosen it up back up once it's defrosted but if you're pushed for time, well worth it. Or just make it day before and fridge it, that'll be fine too.

Forgot to say, if you're doing lots of cupcakes and are pushed for time, I'd go for tray bakes instead, easier to ice!
  • Long_tall_sally
    Long_tall_sally Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't know you could freeze butter icing Savannah02K. I'm getting married 27th December & I have also been wondering how long cakes keep fresh for as I want a big sponge cake and some gluten-free cup cakes & I can't imagine a cake maker will want to make or ice them on Xmas day or Boxing day.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • jue
    jue Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for your help everyone. I think I'll go for fruit in the buns. ☺
  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I always freeze my cakes usually up to a week. And they are definitely more moist.

Definitely make them in advance and freeze. You can make the buttercream and keep it in the fridge for a couple of days - no different from keeping butter in the fridge after all!

I haven't tried it myself but I believe you can ice while cakes are still frozen too.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,292 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I didn't know you could freeze butter icing Savannah02K. I'm getting married 27th December & I have also been wondering how long cakes keep fresh for as I want a big sponge cake and some gluten-free cup cakes & I can't imagine a cake maker will want to make or ice them on Xmas day or Boxing day.

Depends how dedicated your cake supplier is, and whereabouts they and your wedding are. If I had that order, the buttercream would be made in advance & frozen, sponge would be baked & decorated on 26th & cupcakes made very early on 27th before being decorated and all delivered.

But I don't have your order :)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business