PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Help ASAP please - Cut potatoes in the fridge

Options
Fruball
Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 26 May 2014 at 8:49PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hello :)

I want to use my act!fry to make breakfast tomorrow morning but am always short of time.

What I would like to do is cut my potatoes tonight and place in a bag with chopped bacon and some onion so I can just tip it all in the act!fry before I hop in the bath so it is all ready for when I get out.

Will this work or will the potatoes go horrid overnight?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If I have peeled some spuds for later I always put them in a bowl of water in the fridge .When i want to use them its no problem to pat dry and use how I want.As long as you keep the water fresh daily peeled spuds will keep fresh for around a week
  • Fruball
    edited 26 May 2014 at 9:51PM
    Options
    Thanks Jackie - I would have to drain and dry them which would take precious minutes.... I cannot tell you how bad we are in the mornings!!! All 3 of us love our sleep and find it difficult to wake up so breakfast is usually something grabbed on the run!

Tipping it all straight into the AFry whilst the bath is running is all I have time for :D

I am going to par boil them tonight so they don't go brown.

eta - I have cut one up and put it in a bag to see the result tomorrow so I know in future.
  • mumofthetwins
    mumofthetwins Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I use my actifry all the time one day I will peel and cut pots for chips but leave in the fridge over night in salted water (cling film on top) and it only takes a minute to drain and pat down with a kitchen tea towel ... I also use the skins in the actifry
    (hence why the chips are left until the next day on the fridge) and the kids like these better than the chips !
    Lisa
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • Fruball
    Options
    I always use the skins too. And they are rarely chip shaped even though I call them chips :D Tomorrow we are having potato slices/rounds. Yummy! Going to go to bed now so tomorrow comes faster... Food obsessed me! :D
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Another vote for putting them in a bowl of salted water. I can't cut vegetables myself any more (arthritic hands) so every night we look at the meal plan, see what's needed for the next day's dins, and my DH cuts anything I can't manage. Root veggies are placed in a bowl of salt water on the work surface, onions, tomatoes and mushrooms are sliced or diced and just placed in a bowl in the fridge. He also grates cheese and leaves it in a bowl in the fridge if cheese is needed. All are perfectly ok when I come to make our dins the next day.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • sillysid
    sillysid Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    you'd have to cover them with water - once they are peeled and exposed to air, they oxidise (discolour and go black) likewise, apples, pears, bananas, etc. In fruit, coating them in lemon juice stops oxidisation, as does water - don't think the potatoes would taste so nice coated in lemon tho!
  • Fruball
    Options
    My experiment showed that the spuds that were chopped and popped into a sandwich bag in the fridge did indeed begin to go black and after 24 hours didn't look too appetising.

Part cooked ones left in the actifry overnight and then heated for a further 10 mins in the morning were perfect :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport