Postage

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
9 replies 1K views
BelfastbelleBelfastbelle Forumite
365 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Why do some retailers state 'mainland UK Delivery only' when it is clearly obvious that it costs exactly the same to post to NI?

(I'm guessing it's something about insurance/ risk v delivery distance but surely the post office bases their business reputation on 'delivery success' ratios..)

Replies

• moleratmolerat Forumite
    25.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably because they are too stupid to realise how much business they are losing by failing to understand how one of the basic components of an internet operations works. :mad:
  • RTNIRTNI Forumite
    817 Posts
    Or maybe because they don't realise that Royal Mail deliver to NI for the same price. They assume that the island of Ireland as a complete entity is more expensive to deliver too; which for NI is not the case.
    Regards, Robin.
    2011 MFW # 34
    Mortgage starting balance at Sept 09 - £127,224 on 30 year term. Currently balance approx £116,945 (Updated Jan '12)
    Estimated MFD - [STRIKE]Sept 2039[/STRIKE]
    , April 2031 (in progress!)
  • erinccerincc Forumite
    62 Posts
    Have experienced this many times on ebay. Usually ask them outright. Most don't know that it's the same price via royal mail. If they use a courier tho that's different. My gripe at the minute is the tassimo offer on grabbit board. UK mainland only, Fed up of being treated like second class citizens.:mad:
  • donnac2558donnac2558 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I was looking at something on ebay at the weekend Ebay UK and seller put, Will Not Post To Northern Ireland.

Last year again on ebay I saw duvet covers I wanted the company it was a business shop stated Free Shipping To The Irish Republic, but charged to ship to NI. I messaged and asked why as we are part of the UK and no different that posting to Wales or Scotland. Got the reply OOPS!!! It was the Irish Republic they charged to ship to and NI was free. Did get a very sorry for the inconvenience.

I used to buy cat food from Zooplus great deals and free shipping to the UK. Then suddenly it was we charge to ship to NI and Scotland! Stopped buying from them and went to a local pet store instead, got free delivery to the door and discounts as well.
  • Mistral001Mistral001 Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    As far as ebay is concerned, it is rare now, in my experience to find, sellers charging extra for NI deliveries. Though it used to be a big problem when the couriers used to charge extra for for NI and Scottish Islands etc.

Ebay traders know that NI is in Uk and that their couriers as well as Royal Mail do not charge extra for delivery because they have the address and post code of the customer on their computer and the computer tells them that. I think if it was left up to the average English person to know that Belfast was in the UK there could be a few mistakes.
  • edited 26 May 2014 at 3:06PM
    techspectechspec Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    edited 26 May 2014 at 3:06PM
    erincc wrote: »
    Have experienced this many times on ebay. Usually ask them outright. Most don't know that it's the same price via royal mail. If they use a courier tho that's different. My gripe at the minute is the tassimo offer on grabbit board. UK mainland only, Fed up of being treated like second class citizens.:mad:

But won't the Tassimo offer be sent via courier - contradicting your post?

However, it used to me a nightmare getting a bidder from NI, as couriers often charged double.

But with Hermes and Collect+ now shipping there along with Royal Mail - it no-longer seems as big a problem.

BUT if they scam you - it still feels like your dealing with an overseas buyer - and you have no-where to turn.
  • jenheifferjenheiffer Forumite
    395 Posts
    techspec wrote: »
    But won't the Tassimo offer be sent via courier - contradicting your post?

No I think the poster's point is that the offer is not open AT ALL to NI addresses. This has happened to me several times with offers in the Daily Telegraph and other so-called 'mainland' newspapers.
  • erinccerincc Forumite
    62 Posts
    jenheiffer wrote: »
    No I think the poster's point is that the offer is not open AT ALL to NI addresses. This has happened to me several times with offers in the Daily Telegraph and other so-called 'mainland' newspapers.

Correct...thank you.:)
  • techspectechspec Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    jenheiffer wrote: »

Youve lost me.

Post said they understand when its sent by courier and not royal mail - then quoted an item being sent via courier.

Thats why its not available.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals