PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to store and reheat certain takeaway foods?

Options
Ok I have had some friends round now and again in last few months and any leftovers I either put in fridge or if a lot I freeze but things like chinese food is a pain, if its like sweet and sour chicken and not chicken balls with dip its fine but if I get the tubs of sauce it seems to solidify into a thick jam so has to be chucked out, and chips dry out unless they are in a cool but not cold place.

Just to save all the waste what is best way to store stuff to stop it drying out or solidifying?

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chips, throw in the bin. Anything in a container, put in the fridge. Sauces. throw in the bin too.

Leftovers never last more than the next day here.
  • DPJames
    DPJames Posts: 999 Forumite
    Options
    Totally agree. If it lasts till the next day, you're lucky. After that though, bin it.
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We had a chinese takeaway last night and there was a bit left over, which i thought was a shame to waste it. so i put it in the fridge. By this morning though after mulling it over I chucked it all in the bin.
    My big worry is that surely the food would have been reheated once already? Chicken for example must have been cooked once then cooled, then reheated again to put in chowmein, or other such dishes. So is it not asking for trouble by keeping it, then reheating it again?
    I am not sure how its cooked in the chinese, is it all fresh? or do they make things in batches and then reheat to order?
    The takeaway was so nice last night I could easily have eaten it again tonight.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    if I haven't managed to eat all my takeaway it gets put in a container in the freezer straight away. it then gets 'nuked' in the microwave when I fancy it. I have to accept its not going to taste the same! but close enough is good enough when I have a craving for Chinese and they aren't open!
  • notjustlaura
    notjustlaura Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    I never reheat take away food because I don't know if it's been reheated previously or ever been frozen. Pizza I'll happily eat cold the next day if it's spent the night in the fridge. The rest goes in the bin.
    Household: Laura + William-cat
    Not Buying It in 2015
  • fridge_raider
    Options
    If you're unsure, I would just eat it all cold. I like most things cold anyway, and they won't do you any harm if they've been in the fridge. Cold chowmein and any cold curry are particularly nice.

In my student days, I used to buy an 18 inch meaty pizza, eat half, leave the rest in the living room overnight at room temp, then eat it for brekkie and lunch. Disgusting I know, but it never made me ill!
  • xnatillyx
    xnatillyx Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I reheat my takeaways sometimes. I have a strong stomach though and only lots of milk/calcium based products effect me.
    Chips i have sometimes reheated , not bothered :p

And reheated takeaway pizza for brekkie the next day is one of the best things about life. Something about it makes it taste better than it does fresh.
    My fiance agree's , don't know if it is just us. :D
    INACTIVE ACCOUNT
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family