PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

anyone else boil potatoes in the oven?

Options
I'm a lazy cook and won't put anything on the hob because I don't want to watch it
Everything goes in the oven including potatoes and veg in seperate casserole pots
I usually put 3/4 full with boiling water from the kettle and also 10 minutes in microwave to bring to boil and then just on the bottom shelf for 30 mins while the meat cooks

I want to cut out the microwave part
Anyone else boil veg in the oven/casserole dish and give me an idea of how long to put them in for (same with potatoes)
When will the "Edit" and "Quote" button get fixed on the mobile web interface?

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you use a steamer you don't have to watch it and you don't lose vitamins into the water.
  • DPJames
    DPJames Posts: 999 Forumite
    Options
    So 10 minutes in the microwave, and then 30 minutes in he oven. Is that right? 40 minutes?

Dude, seriously. Put them in a pan and boil for 10-15 minutes. It's really simple.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I steam mine in a microwave steamer.... 5 mins, turn, 5 mins, turn, 3 mins (check ... and add another 2-3 mins if required).

Else I'd use an electric stackable steamer if I wanted to avoid pot watching.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Who stands watching boiling veg ? Once they're simmering, thats it until they're done. It takes much longer doing it your way !
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    If you use a steamer you don't have to watch it and you don't lose vitamins into the water.

I keep thinking I should try steaming potatoes and then mashing them to see how it comes out. Hmmm. I've got to make dinner in an hour or two.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always steam potatoes before mashing, no difference.
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Boil potatoes in the oven? Gosh never thought of that!

I roast or Jacket spuds when the oven is on for an hour or more. Always like to fill my half size oven. In the summer months I sometimes do roasted mediteranian veg. = peppers, carrots, onion and courgette.

Most days though, I use my Tefal electric steamer for fresh and frozen veg. potatoes too! on the timer for 1/2 hr. Pings when dinner is ready.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    RHemmings wrote: »
    I keep thinking I should try steaming potatoes and then mashing them to see how it comes out. Hmmm. I've got to make dinner in an hour or two.

I've done this before now and they've turned out fine.
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure