house in newtownabbey

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
7 replies 2.2K views
someadvicereqsomeadvicereq Forumite
32 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Is anyone familiar with the brambles on the old Carrick road?

I'm looking for a new house and I'm not really familiar with the area, it seems decent but not really sure about it's location.

How handy is it for commuting to Belfast for work, is it convenient to schools etc?

Would it be a decent place to live?

Would appreciate any comments!

Thanks

Replies

• snowmensnowmen Forumite
    542 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Nice area.
    You will need a car as there is a bus route on the old carrick road but it isn't that frequent.
    Commute into belfast can get busy on the old carrick road whether you go through monkstown road or the motorway especially with the road widening that is happening on the shore road at the moment as people would use that as an alternative route.
    Nearest schools are in monkstown, greenisland or even carrick.
    Hope this helps.
  • Thanks for this.

How long would the commute to Belfast be in the morning? Will the situation improve when the new road from carrickfergus is opened which I believe is happening soon?

Someone told me that there was a pig farm on the old carrick road - and that some houses can smell it, is that a concern?

I assume you would be in the catchment area for Carnmoney schools also?
  • avenidaavenida Forumite
    486 Posts
    Brambles is a really gd area! You shouldn't have any problems with smells.

For Commuting in the mornings I would say about 25minutes to belfast but then it all depends what time you leave at .

The shore road road works are due to finish next year so it will get better a long the old carrick road.

I know that there are some kids go to Carnmoney primary school that live in the brambles however I also know that the past 2 years Carnmoney school has been heavily oversubscribed so if you want your child to get a place there I suggest you move a lot closer.

Hope this helps
    542 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks for this.

How long would the commute to Belfast be in the morning? Will the situation improve when the new road from carrickfergus is opened which I believe is happening soon?

Someone told me that there was a pig farm on the old carrick road - and that some houses can smell it, is that a concern?

I assume you would be in the catchment area for Carnmoney schools also?

Situation will definitely improve as avenida says when the dual carriageway on the shore rd opens properly - at the moment people avoid it due to the roadworks and use the old carrick road as an alternative route.
    As for the commute I would say it would be 40 mins at most but again like avenida says it depends what time you leave (and I suppose which bit of Belfast you are heading too).
    Yes there is a pig farm on the old carrick road and it is stinking when you go past it but lucky for you it will be the other side of the monkstown lights. Oaklands development would be nearer than it to you and you still can't smell it from there!
    Carmoney is definitely in the catchment area. I know of children who go to Carmoney primary and Mossley primary. Our eldest is in Earlview primary at the moment and loves it.
    Only thing to watch if you are really really picky is that the bottom end of the development backs on to the train line but really and truly the trains don't make much noise and there aren't that many of them either.
  • Thanks all - how does it work with secondary schools - are we going to want to move in a few years time?

What options are there for grammar and secondary schools - either state or catholic maintained?
    542 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks all - how does it work with secondary schools - are we going to want to move in a few years time?

What options are there for grammar and secondary schools - either state or catholic maintained?

I have two children and only one of them is primary school age at the moment so wouldn't be able to help with the secondary school bit. I am sure the good people of the NI forum will be able to give you an insight though.
    Here is a link to the school my child goes to - it even mentions the Brambles on the homepage!

http://www.earlviewprimary.ik.org/p_page1.ikml
  • avenidaavenida Forumite
    486 Posts
    The child will have to do the AQE test and the desired school.

On the carrick road and monkstown road there are bus stops to Belfast High, Ballyclare secondary and ballyclare high.

There is also Monkstown community but I have heard its not great school
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides