PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help with turkey mince, stuffing & puff pastry ideas

Options
So, it's the end of the month & I'm trying to use up what's in the house & have pulled some turkey mince & puff pastry out of the freezer this morning. I also have a pack of stuffing in the cupboard & was thinking of making something similar to a beef Wellington but haven't attempted it before & don't want to mess up so was hoping for some advice on the best way to acheive this.
I was thinking of making up the stuffing as instructed & allowing it to cool before adding it to the defrosted turkey mince (or should I cook the mince first??)
I have an egg so maybe combine with this, shape the mixture & then wrap the pastry around or would it better to make smaller, individual pies as I'm concerned about the meat not being cooked properly.

Would really appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on this or how I can improve it.

Thanks in advance X

Comments

• fridge_raider
    Options
    I wouldn't bother with the egg, as I think it will make it too stiff, and I wouldn't pre-cook the mince either. I would, however, make it in individual portions as you say, I wouldn't be confident that a large one would be done in the middle before the pastry is done.

It sounds like it could end up pretty nice I think !
  • Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 May 2014 at 1:10PM
    Options
    This recipe immediately sprang to mind. I'd simply swap the breadcrumbs for the stuffing. It's mostly rusk. You can, of course, make smaller rolls, if you have enough pastry.

MINCED MEAT ROLL

Serves 2

INGREDIENTS

1 sheet of puff pastry
    1 slice of bread
    1 clove of garlic
    ½ an onion
    1 tablespoon of parsley
    ¼ of a teaspoon of ground black pepper
    250g of minced meat
    1 egg
    Some milk
    Some oil
    Some more milk

DEFROSTING

If you are using frozen pastry, defrost it according to the instructions on the packet.

METHOD

Crumble the bread into breadcrumbs. Peel the garlic and chop it into tiny pieces. Peel the onion, cut it in half, chop one half into tiny pieces and save the other half.

Put the breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, parsley and pepper into a bowl. Add the minced beef. Break the egg into the bowl. Mix thoroughly.

Put the meat mixture on the middle of the pastry in a sausage shape. Pull the pastry over the top, so it overlaps. Moisten the edges and ends with some milk and gently press them together.

Rub some oil onto a baking tray. Put the roll on the tray. Brush the pastry with some more milk. Make a hole in the top.

Cook in a preheated oven at 200°C, 400°F, gas mark 6 for 30 minutes.

ADDITIONS & ALTERNATIVES

Use minced beef, pork or turkey. If you aren’t using beef, add a beef stock cube.

Use mixed herbs instead of parsley.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure