Art Deco / Antique Engagement Rings

Afternoon,

I hope this is in the right place. I am looking to start thinking about purchasing an engagement ring and was hoping the forum might offer me some advice. I have her ring size, a budget (up to £3k) and I know the style of rings she likes (Art-Deco/Gemstones with diamonds round it, a solitaire diamond is not her style). However I am struggling with the following:

1. Is my budget realistic to get a nice Art Deco/antique ring.
2. I live in London so my immediate thought is Hatton Garden is the place to go, is this accurate? Or is Hatton Garden more a 'diamonds only' kind of place? Is there a better place to go?
3. I can find lots of guides online advising about diamonds and the 4 c's, but not many about antique rings or anything not a diamond. Does the 4c's still apply to other gemstones? Are there other factors I should consider with antique rings that aren't covered in diamond buying guides?

Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• madrhino
    madrhino Posts: 246 Forumite
    Hi
    Good auction houses might be a place to look. They usually have their catalogues online so you can see what they have before going to view. They should be a bit cheaper than the shops
  • Sarah-V
    Sarah-V Posts: 35 Forumite
    Just from a quick google, I've found a gorgeous Aquamarine deco ring in Hatton Garden that might be sort of what you're after?

It's definitely worth going in person to see what they can suggest in store and to have a general look. It's not just diamonds.

The 4c's are the same for all gemstones, and the GIA is still the standard certification to look for. I'd suggest picking what focal stone you'd like and then researching that so you seem to know what you're talking about.

December and February are the big months for ring buying, so June/July/August there are some great bargains to be had when sales people get a bit more desperate.
  • If you live in London it's worth visiting Grays Antique Market if you are after a more unusual type of ring - http://www.graysantiques.com/

It's just by Bond Street Tube so central and easy to get to. If you can go during the week it tends to be slightly less busy and there are more dealers there - they tend to be doing fairs at the weekends.

I have purchased items in the past from Shapiro & Co (art deco style sapphire & diamond ring) and John Joseph (diamond studs) and would recommend both dealers. It's worth noting that while the GIA is a standard certification if you purchase a ring that's older than the certification it won't have a certificate although the dealer will be able to give you a good indication of the 4 C's.

It's also worth pointing out that antique rings generally provide much better value for money than newer rings and are certainly more unique. Your budget is probably about right depending on what type of ring you want to go for and how much of a discount you can get (when buying antique always ask for the best price as it will be less than the listed price).

The other thing to note is that the cuts of the stones will be slightly different to modern cuts - I have a Victorian half eternity ring and the diamonds have a cushion cut which is a simpler variation of the brilliant cut.
  • ManicRower
    ManicRower Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Really appreciate the responses thus far. It is good to know that Hatton Garden is an option and to hear about Grays Antiques, I had no idea that existed.

I've had a look at some of the dealers at Grays Antiques and the link provided by Sarah-V and am making plans to visit them shortly. Auctions is a good suggestion but I tend to get a bit carried away so not sure I have the right personality to go and bid for a ring there!
  • When we were looking I saw some stunning antique rings in Brighton - and your budget would be plenty, I lot I liked turned out to be around the 2k mark.
  • There is a lovely jewellers in Burlington Arcade that has a brilliant selection of antique/art deco rings, they are really friendly and welcoming too. Also a lot of jewellers on Hatton Garden will make you a ring in that style, if that's what you're after. The London Diamond Bourse has a great selection of antique rings... good luck! Such a happy, exciting time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure