PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezer Bags

Options
I recently bought freezer bags with the slide to zip lock them. In one I had strawberries, well now they are gone yummy! So my ? is do people use them again after swilling them or do they dump them. I don't want to appear mean but they do seem to good to throw out
Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands

Comments

• Honeythief
    Honeythief Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    It's not mean to get full use out of something you paid for, especially if it is going to go into landfill. I wash and reuse mine until they get a hole or the top won't close any more.
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I wash mine with washing up liquid in a bowl then peg on the line to dry.
    Def. reuse.
    I reuse the fruit and veg bags from the supermarkets sometimes.
    I reuse the bags in cereal boxes, find these great for transporting food like cakes and quiche.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I certainly reuse them . until they almost are falling apart before they get binned.I have some soup bags that I bought from Lake;and around three years ago that have been used again and again.Just wash thoroughly and rinse in clear water, turn inside out and dry or hand on the washing line to dry off.But then I do try to reuse almost anything until it falls apart anyway :):):) My rubbish per week I guess would probably only fill a small supermarket plastic bag and my children even call me the recycling queen :):):) comes from growing up during and after WW2 when shortages were the norm Reccycling was an every day thing back then and very little got binned.When I go out on a Tuesday morning and see how many bags of rubbish are waiting for collection outside folks houses I often wonder how much could be recycled or reused and save chucking it all into a landfill site.Our green and pleasant land will end up as a huge rubbish tip in years to come
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    viv0147 wrote: »
    I recently bought freezer bags with the slide to zip lock them. In one I had strawberries, well now they are gone yummy! So my ? is do people use them again after swilling them or do they dump them. I don't want to appear mean but they do seem to good to throw out

So general consensus is definitely reuse them.

I have to say I don't buy freezer bags at all. I use the bags that loose fruit and veg comes in, usually double for veg and meat. Portions of food go in those plastic boxes from the £ shop (like take away containers) and I use those until they fall apart.

Like the sound of those soup bags though Jackie as they might take up less space.

I did enjoy your post viv. Made me quite nostalgic as I haven't hear of anyone 'swilling' since I lived in South Wales. In Southern England we seem to rinse!:D
  • viv0147
    viv0147 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    So general consensus is definitely reuse them.

I have to say I don't buy freezer bags at all. I use the bags that loose fruit and veg comes in, usually double for veg and meat. Portions of food go in those plastic boxes from the £ shop (like take away containers) and I use those until they fall apart.

Like the sound of those soup bags though Jackie as they might take up less space.

I did enjoy your post viv. Made me quite nostalgic as I haven't hear of anyone 'swilling' since I lived in South Wales. In Southern England we seem to rinse!:D

I was in the gents having a pee and there was an englishman in there when he finished he went to wash his hands in England we are taught to wash our hands after having a pee! So I said in Wales we are taught not to pee over our hands.
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes if I bought those I would definitely re use them.
  • AnnieO1234
    AnnieO1234 Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    Options
    Ikea do boxes of 50 ziplock bags that are specifically designed to be washed. Xx
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    viv0147 wrote: »
    I was in the gents having a pee and there was an englishman in there when he finished he went to wash his hands in England we are taught to wash our hands after having a pee! So I said in Wales we are taught not to pee over our hands.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Love it!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The soup bags are well worth the money as you can part freeze them (sort of semi soft ice) and then squish them around other stuff in the freezer to utilise the space inbetween other stuff.I can get a bag of soup into some very tight corners in my freezer so every bit of space is used up.When the defrost you can stand them up as they are melting as well.I stick mine on the draining board when defrosting
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure