Train costs

I am wondering if anyone can help me

I am travelling from Wigan North Western to Higham (this is the nearest railway station I can find nearest to Shorne in kent.

Travelling out on Monday 2nd June and returning day after cheapest train fare I can find £43.00 going out and. £16 coming back but the train coming back is 19.10pm which means I am waiting hours after my meeting has finished.

Can anyone help me find a way back earlier which is not over expensive

Thanks .

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The 1840 is a little cheaper than the 1910

Try travelling via Manchester on the way back

Or the £89 off peak return is flexible and gives a wider choice of trains
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thyere are some dirt cheap tickets to Higham, but you may need to use a combination of tickets (aka "splitting") to get the best possible fares.

You have a PM.
  • Dodgy-TYT
    Dodgy-TYT Posts: 18 Forumite
    Is it me or our train journeys now hugely expensive compared to just a few years ago?

I guess it's the price of progress and reliability - to be fair, the services are now very efficient and clean.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I wouldn't say hugely more expensive overall - a bit more expensive yes and a bigger difference between the lowest fare available and the highest. And (despite "simplification" ) more complex.

Does depend on the particular journey though
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Our rail fares are expensive for those who simply turn up but if you are a reasonably regular traveller, have some sort of rail card and are prepared to take on the labyrinthine ticketing system they are not so bad. Any system where pays to make imaginary splits is more than a bit insane! The complexity of ticketing is one of the downsides of the operation being privately run.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    sirine05 wrote: »
    What about bus, which bus company will you suggest because the train is too expensive.
    If you want to know about bus fares, then probably best to start a new thread.

Anyway, the answer to your question depends greatly on your proposed journey.
  • yorkie2
    Did you get my PM?

I looked at splitting at a couple of places, one of them was Sheffield, and surprisingly splitting at Sheffield made it incredibly cheap, but I hoped you booked it, as I've looked again and the fare from Sheffield has since shot up in price!
  • yorkie2
    Dodgy-TYT wrote: »
    Is it me or our train journeys now hugely expensive compared to just a few years ago?.
    In some cases, train travel is amazingly cheap.

Someone told me the other day they booked Worcester to London for £4.60 (I'm not officially - by MSE rules - meant to post links to BRfares, but here is a link to the ticket: http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=WOF&dest=EUS&grpo=0447&grpd=1072&rlc=YNG&rte=480&tkt=C7S) and I can use Reward points to get free first class travel on East Coast on occasions.

You can do any Southern trains in a day for £7.50 each (if there's a group of 4 of you, off peak) for any number of journeys in a day, even something like Southampton to Milton Keynes!

So there are some bargains. But most fares are a rip-off these days.
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Dodgy-TYT wrote: »
    Is it me or our train journeys now hugely expensive compared to just a few years ago?

I guess it's the price of progress and reliability - to be fair, the services are now very efficient and clean.

It's also because the government is reducing the subsidy rail companies receive. 2 years ago every fare was effectively 50% subsidised as the train companies received roughly the same amount of money per year from the government as they did from fares. As the government is reducing the subsidy the fares are increasing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure