Just having a moan.....

Options
2»

Comments

• Kate_fixing_it
    Options
    SeduLOUs wrote: »
    Nice. I always forget Groupon exists because I try to limit 'treat' spending. Thank you for reminding me!

I plan to book a nice massage after the 3 hours university maths exam I have in less than 3 weeks (I feel a bit sick thinking about it)

Check wowcher too, they usually have similar offers but last year (pre-LBM) I saved £50 on a hotel room...doesn't negate the £150 I threw on the CC but as I said that was the old me ;)

Kate x
    LBM 17th Oct13 - SC DMP - DFD 10th Feb 2018
    paid pre-DMP £6146 :D paid with DMP £2275 :D F&F's £700 (£450 discount) £1,000 (£1,498.22 discount) £ 700 (489.62 discount) :D Total £9725

Current debt to repay £3,503.13 taking one day at a time
  • Willowpop
    Willowpop Posts: 856 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I think you deserve a crunchie rather than a curly wurly for getting your debt down so fast!! Be proud of yourself!
    PAYDBX 2016 #55 100% paid! :j Officially bad debt free...don't count my mortgage.
    Now to start saving...it's a whole new world!!
  • Bublin1
    Bublin1 Posts: 724 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Looks like I'm in the same boat. However I am disputing mine as I was misinformed about something. They have to check phone records.....I'm not holding my breath.
    If I lose then I'll owe £3000!!!
    I'm pis*ed because I've always been honest as I vowed never to owe the government a got daymn penny.

I'm a single mum too and right now I'm kind of wishing I never bothered in making overpayments on my loan.
    Dave Ramsey Fan[/COLOR]
  • 7roland8
    7roland8 Posts: 3,601 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Not sure if tax is the same as tax credits but hubby had underpayment of tax with his Incapacity Benefit going back a few years and they spread the cost over 3 years so we were paying back only 15 a month - try and get the lowest possible to repay.

Great news about how much you have paid off so don't go off the rails - splash out on a lipstick or book or something cheap from charity shop and then carry on.
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
  • Powered_By_Pies
    Options
    Don't forget tax rebates are coming up... I got a rebate last June which I wasn't expecting... That was the old me though that blew through it on garbage at an alarming rate :eek:

But 10k in a year's a tremendous amount to pay back. I don't think I could even think about getting my budget that low, and I'm a single 25 year old!
  • Chrisblue1962
    Chrisblue1962 Posts: 1,203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Willowpop wrote: »
    I think you deserve a crunchie rather than a curly wurly for getting your debt down so fast!! Be proud of yourself!

Chrunchie...mmmmm....the trouble is, six of them is just not enough! :o...I'll get my coat :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    DFW'er - Lightbulb moment : 31st July 2009 - £18,499
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.
    Demolishing my House of Debt.. one brick at a time!! :)
    Thinking of spending???..YNAB says "NO!!!!"

• tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi
    Firsyly well done on reducing your debt so quickly, as others have said if it lost you friends well they were not real friends IMO.
    Re the massage, have you tried local colleges to see if they do courses as they often let students loose on people, sometimes for free, sometimes for a small fee.
    HTH
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • Anaheim
    Anaheim Posts: 42 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi Jones
    That's a HUGE achievement and deserves recognition! I can't believe that you have cleared that amount of debt in only eight months - wow!
    The letter from HMRC is an awful set back but you have proved that you can do this. Small steps and all that.
    The journey will end and you will come out the other side a better person! I've been a long time lurker on these boards and have learnt so much, we have had a debt problem and it's taken us 4 years to clear, we have approximately 2 more payments to make to totally clear our debts and can't wait for it to happen, I'm day dreaming all the time about what we will be able to do with the extra money. I think that if we had something thrown at us at the end of this it would bring me down too.
    You said that you want to go out and buy 'anything' and say to hell with it, we managed to get around this buy challenging ourselves to see what we could treat ourselves to by scouring second hand shops for bargains and treat ourselves to a posh coffee. Not ideal but better than nothing!
    The friends that you lost - are they really friends, as others have already said true ones would stick with you regardless, remember that. Oh and have you tried eating frozen curly wurlies - they are delicious!
  • Jones01
    Jones01 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Anaheim - A huge congratulations on only having 2 more payments to go! I bet you can't wait :j A frozen curly wurly sounds amazing, will give it a try next time. I love the idea of scouring second hand shops to get a bargain as a treat, because money has been so tight I haven't really been in any shops (except food) so never think of going in even to the charity ones.

tealady - I never knew colleges did that, but it's such a good idea. Have you tried it yourself? A little scared I'd come out hurting more than when I went in :rotfl: although I'm sure the students are well trained :D

Thank you so much to everyone who replied yesterday and today, it's so nice that people who I've never met can be so supportive and make me feel so much better about my situation. I guess without anyone to talk to about my debt I forgot how much hard work I'd put in and how proud I should be for getting this far. Onwards and upwards, thank you and good luck to everyone with their debt challenges
    xx
  • girlatplay
    girlatplay Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just popping in to say, you have done amazingly well Jones. You should be giving yourself a massive pat on the back :) As others have said, it is just a setback which you will deal with and move on. It is frustrating but before you know it you will be a year down the line with no debt and you will be using this whole experience as a lesson that you never want to learn again.

I have a friend who has just qualified as a beauty therapist. She did some treatments on me when she was training and she was really, really good. Don't think that you will come out hurting more, that really won't happen. The newer students will be well supervised and the ones ready to qualify will be well experienced and very good as they are completely up to date with techniques. They all practice on each other too. You will pay a lot less than normal.

Frozen curly wurly...mmmmmmm....:D
    Mortgage at 12/07/2022 = £175,000
    Mortgage today = £166,457.86
    300 282 payments to go.
    House buyout fund £3,261.67/£40,000
    Random Pick Fridays = £80.01
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income