Patio furniture

Options
Does anyone know how to get rust off patio furniture thats not supposed to get rusty at all. Its silver coloured mesh and I think its coated aliminium as its very light in weight. We have had it several years and for the first few years it was under cover all year round. Due to a house move and nowhere to store it for the first couple of years we covered it with a tarpaulin type cover but we decided it was rusting because of the cover so for the last couple of years its been left to the elements. It hasn't got any worse for not being under cover but does need a good clean and the rusty film removed. I have tried a pan scourer and various household detergents but nothing has worked. Do I take a Brillo to it or is there a less vicious way? Thanks for reading.
Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:

Comments

• till_man
    till_man Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    twist knot wire brush is what we use at work to get rid of rust on trains.

get one that you can attach to an angle grinder:D

if its very thick mesh you could even use a flap disc but be carefull you dont sand all the way through!
  • tinkytonkytank
    Options
    Aluminium doesn't rust so it must be something else?
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Aluminium can develop white, powdery deposits on exposure to the elements. It doesn't actually rust.

Unfortunately, if you brush the oxide off, it just exposes more fresh aluminium to corrode instead.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure