Solar PV Quotes - Bristol

Hi,
I've had two quotes back for an install just NE of Bristol. Not an ideal install, its a 4 bed detached house with a hipped roof. Quite a difference in quotes, and equipment standards - what's your views?

Not my exact house, but one of these: 34514_200320a_320_img_16_0001-jpg.690

Both quoted for a split roof install equally between the 230 deg and 140deg aspects.

Ethical Solar
Quoted based on Google Earth Survey
  • 3.50 kW £5795, 14 REC 250W panels (7 each roof), SMA4000TL inverter. ROI yr 1 9.1%
  • 3.64 kW £6193, 14 REC 260W panels (7 each roof), SMA4000TL inverter, ROI yr1 8.8%

Solar Sense, Bristol
  • 2.50 kW £7000, 10 Innotech DB 250 panels (5 each roof), Micro inverters. ROI yr 1 7.0%
  • 3.27 kW £8442, 10 SunPower E 327 panels (5 each roof), Solar Edge inverter. ROI yr 1 7.8%

I'd expected to pay between £6-7k, so solar sense are looking expensive, although they did measure and survey in person and worked with me on the roof layout. I can't see how a 7 panel system would ever fit on both roofs. :undecided

The reasoning given for micro inverters was due to the size of the two strings being too small 1.25kW for a standard multi-string inverter. The SunPower/SolarEdge looks like top quality kit, but is over £8k competitive for this type of install?

Replies

• nigelpmnigelpm Forumite
    433 Posts
    I'm based on the outskirts of Bristol and I used Sunlight Future.

I wouldn't look any further to be honest.

Professional, honest, efficient and good value.
  • jimmyboy420jimmyboy420 Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    That is a bit expensive for SunPower/SolarEdge. I had a 12 panel system installed on just one roof. It was £9,400, but that ALSO included in roof system (rather than mounted above the tiles it's flush with the tiles) and taking down a chimney.

I'd think you could get that system for around £7,500 - maybe less.
    3.924kWp (12X327Wp SunPower). SolarEdge SE3500 inverter.
    Surrey/SE. 30 degree roof pitch, chimney shading from mid afternoon.
  • AerodiverAerodiver Forumite
    132 Posts
    nigelpm wrote: »
    I'm based on the outskirts of Bristol and I used Sunlight Future.

I wouldn't look any further to be honest.

Professional, honest, efficient and good value.
    Thanks, good tip - just spent 10 minutes on the phone with them doing a mini assessment online and talking through some of the aspects of the initial quotes. Very impressed so far, lets see what they come back with.
  • nigelpmnigelpm Forumite
    433 Posts
    Aerodiver wrote: »
    Thanks, good tip - just spent 10 minutes on the phone with them doing a mini assessment online and talking through some of the aspects of the initial quotes. Very impressed so far, lets see what they come back with.

Great stuff.

I honestly can't recommend them enough.

Suggest you get a few more quotes but read the feedback they've received and make your own mind up.
  • theboylardtheboylard Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    nigelpm wrote: »
    Great stuff.

I honestly can't recommend them enough.

Suggest you get a few more quotes but read the feedback they've received and make your own mind up.

I'd suggest you swap details, as there may be a referral fee?
    I know some installers pay £200 for a referral that completes, mine is tight and only pays £150!
    4kWp, SSE, 16 x 250w EcoFuture BoB with retro-fitted SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
  • WestonDaveWestonDave Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to muddy the waters - mine was done by Ethical who were also impressive. They were the only ones who took the time to work out how to get a full 4 kWp system (16 panels) on our roof (split SW and SE). The other 2 that quoted only reckoned they could get 14 panels on. The panels are on and are not crammed or too close to the edge - so I can only conclude that it required a bit of care to get the measurements exactly right to be able to fit them.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • mac2008mac2008 Forumite
    266 Posts
    If you want another option, Southern Solar are worth looking at. They did a good thorough quote (including measuring the roof properly), no pushy sales etc. and a very tidy installation.

Mac
    My PV system: South West England, 10x 250Wp Trina Solar panels, Fronius Inverter, South facing roof, 35° pitch with no shading.
  • NeilWNeilW Forumite
    143 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    For me solar panel installers are a little bit rich with their pricing. It is after all a roofing and electrical wiring job - not launching a satellite.

The German installed cost at the moment is 1.64EUR ex tax per Wp installed. That equates to a cost of £1.40 inc. tax per Wp in UK terms.

http://www.solstats.com/blog/solar-energy/solar-panel-costs-drop-by-a-third-since-2011/

The market isn't as competitive here as it is in Germany, but even so you should bear in mind that Germans can put the thing on the roof for that sort of money, and that UK installers really need to justify the differential.

The equipment to put a 4kWp 'granny pack' on the roof costs the installer £3K ex. tax, and the installation should take 2-3 days. VAT is 5% on a solar installation.

Use that to work out how much they are charging for their time.
  • lstar337lstar337 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tut! Tut! thesolarman, you are not allowed to use MSE to promote your business or get work.

Sorry but you have been reported.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News