Wills

homeboy
homeboy Posts: 16 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Gloomy topic, I know, but has anyone had experience of getting a will drawn up? What's the process and how much, roughly, does it cost? Any recommendations for solicitors?
TIA

Comments

• saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    edited 12 May 2014 at 11:21AM
    homeboy wrote: »
    Gloomy topic, I know, but has anyone had experience of getting a will drawn up? What's the process and how much, roughly, does it cost? Any recommendations for solicitors?
    TIA

If you can hold off until November

http://www.willaid.org.uk/will-makers

If not, it should cost around £100. Any solicitor will do.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Often it is said that the only reason you should make a will is when you want to cut someone out of it. This is not strictly the case as it can speed up the process of distributing your estate after you are gone. However, if you are making a will to distribute money in a different way to what would happen when you do not make a will, you will be cutting people out of it or reducing their share.
  • homeboy
    homeboy Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    My situation is a bit different. Though Belfast born and bred, I'm now living in a Muslim country where Shariah law takes precedence. In the absence of a notarized/certified will, not very pleasant consequences are in store for my wife if I cop it...the beneficiaries start with the eldest son and the female spouse is further down the line. Plus it could all take ages to sort out.
    All good info so far, thanx.
  • shop-to-drop
    shop-to-drop Posts: 4,340 Forumite
    Also be very very careful who you have as executors. Make sure the will is worded so that you 100% understand it before signing. Before choosing a solicitor I would ask for an example of their will writing style.

My mum is a victim of this she would never have signed the will she had if she had been warned of the powers that my brother would have as executor as she didn't trust him over money she expected the other executor to reign him in but unfortunately he has turned out just as bad if not worse. The will also allows them to turn all possessions into cash. This is so against what she would have wanted she so wanted those who would value items like she did to have them. Not that there is anything of any great value. There is much more to it but my point is in my mums case it would have been better if she had died with no will. She would be heartbroken at the consequences of the will she signed.
    :j Trytryagain FLYLADY - SAYE £700 each month Premium Bonds £713 Mortgage Was £100,000@20/6/08 now zilch 21/4/15:beer: WTL - 52 (I'll do it 4 MUM)
  • jtk174
    jtk174 Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had a will drawn up last year and it cost me £50 at the Solicitors.
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    homeboy wrote: »
    My situation is a bit different. Though Belfast born and bred, I'm now living in a Muslim country where Shariah law takes precedence. In the absence of a notarized/certified will, not very pleasant consequences are in store for my wife if I cop it...the beneficiaries start with the eldest son and the female spouse is further down the line. Plus it could all take ages to sort out.
    All good info so far, thanx.
    You also need to check if you draw up a will here that it will be recognised in the country that you now live.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure