PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Washing crystal wines glasses in dish washer

Options
I have sone lovely crystal glasses which I rarely use as I've been told crystal is damaged in a dish washer so nirmally use cheap ones for day to day use which can be fhrown away when they go cloudy.
It seems a shame just to have the crystal ones lurking in a cupboard though. Is there any way of washing them in a dishwasher without permanently damaging them?

Comments

• daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Options
    We do ours in the top of the dishwasher and they are fine. We don't do anything different or special they just go in with everything else!
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I love using my large crystal glasses but I do hand wash them. I see what the dishwasher does to my Pyrex bowls, no way would I put my glasses through that.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Really, handwashing is going to take a couple of minutes out of your whole life.......
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • trolleyrun
    trolleyrun Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    I don't have a dishwasher but even if I did, I would hand wash my crystal. It's too nice and I value it too much to spoil it in a dishwasher.
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dishwashers will damage crystal in the end. Is there any reason not to hand wash? Hand washing is easy. Swish in a bowl of soapy water, rinse in a bowl of hot water, drain upside down on a tea towel to protect the rims of the glasses. If you want to hand dry use a linen tea towel.
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Options
    How long will it take to damage them? We have been doing ours in the dishwasher for around 4 years so far and they are still sparkly and good as new. Wondering if we should stop now!
  • hoglet121
    hoglet121 Posts: 658 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    We hand wash our crystal glasses - takes a few seconds to carefully wash them in the sink and rinse with clean water. I would never put them in the dishwasher - some glasses were wedding gifts and others we have spent a fair bit of money on so why risk it? We also dry them up immediately so that water spots don't form.
  • twiglet98
    twiglet98 Posts: 883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why would you leave them in the cupboard just because you don't want to put them in the dishwasher?? Washing in the sink, rinsing in hot water and drying straight away takes all of a minute!
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    No please don't put good crystal in the dishwasher! it may be fine for a few washes - but it will eventually make the crystal cloudy! cut 'glass' is ok tho.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In all seriousness, if you value glassware then it should not go in the DW. Washing machine tablets are strong alkali (that's why you're not supposed to hold them in wet hands -if your hands are wet the natural oils will be attacked by the tablets!) designed to strip grease from pots and pans. Over time it will cloud.
    I wash my 'day-to-day glassware in there but I would never, ever, trust my lead crystal glassware to a DW.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family