PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Ideas for low salt meals

Options
I've recently started eating meals lower in salt (for a health reason). Does anyone have any suggestion for meals I can make (cheaply and quickly) that are low in salt? Generally this will involve not using any jar sauces etc as they appear to be high in sodium. Even some tinned stuff comes soaked in salt water (e.g. some brands of sweetcorn, whereas other brands don't). Ideally something that I can cook at the weekend to freeze then microwave, as I have little time during the week to cook meals from scratch. I also eat quite large meals (i.e. salad or soup probably won't fill me).

Things I already cook from scratch with low salt: chilli con carne, various curries, spaghetti bolognese and grilled chicken/pork/fish with various veg (with no gravy). Any more suggestions as I'm started to get bored with what I'm eating at the moment?

Comments

• ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anything fresh you cook won't have any added salt other than that which you add yourself. You do actually need some salt in your diet so don't try to cut it out completely. If you avoid processed foods where possible you should be fine.
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    And watch out for bread, some bread is actually quite salty.
    Lasagne, stew, homemade quiche and pies are all freezable and easily done from scratch.
    Omelettes are quick and easy.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • trolleyrun
    trolleyrun Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    Risotto
    Casseroles and stews
    (All these can be made with low salt stock cubes)

When using pork meat, try to get the unsmoked version as it has slightly less salt than smoked. Also, if you're doing a gammon in the SC, boil the joint in water for half an hour before putting it in the SC to get rid of excess salt.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    trolleyrun wrote: »
    Risotto
    Casseroles and stews
    (All these can be made with low salt stock cubes)

When using pork meat, try to get the unsmoked version as it has slightly less salt than smoked. Also, if you're doing a gammon in the SC, boil the joint in water for half an hour before putting it in the SC to get rid of excess salt.

Or soak in cold water for a while and then change the water before cooking.

I find yours a strange question OP. Like chameleon said, if you're prepared to cook from scratch and not use processed food then you choose how much/if any salt you want to put in the meal. If you're concerned about canned sweetcorn then don't eat it, other veg is just as healthy and minus any additives. If you can spare some time to cook and then portion up some chilli/Bolognese/curry/casserole etc then you'll have HM ready meals and no need to rely on processed food.

Years ago, everyone seemed to add salt both in cooking and at the table. The best way to wean yourself off if that's the way you've been eating is to use herbs/spices to flavour foods and plenty of pepper at the table if you need it.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anything you fancy that you're able to cook from scratch will be as low salt as you want it to be. There are very, very few dishes I add salt to and we never have it on the table.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you are cooking from scratch just don't add any salt. As you have already noticed shop bought cooking sauces etc contain salt anyway, why add more?

In all likelyhood you have probably become accustomed to the taste of salt and will miss that buzz. Reduce your intake gradually would be my suggestion. Also if boiling vegetables don't add salt to the water its a fairly pointless activity. I know that science says that salt water has a higher boiling point and hence your vegs cook faster but the time difference can be measured in seconds or at most a few minutes. If making pasta (from dried) don't add salt to the water it inhibits absorbtion. Swap your tinned vegs for frozen or at the very least rinse the tinned veg contents in running water before reheating.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 May 2014 at 7:16PM
    Options
    Giant yorkshire puddings, which you can fill with veggies/mash of your choice.

I never use any salt in cooking, never have - don't like the taste.... and I've been gobsmacked in the last few years to see how much salt TV chefs seem to put in things these days! Just cook any recipe and leave out the salt.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use lots of dried herbs and pepper more than salt.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • PlymouthMaid
    PlymouthMaid Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As already said, anything you cook will be low/no salt if you don't add it. The only time I use salt is a pinch in bread dough or a tinned tomato sauce or maybe in soup although usually not needed as the stock is a bit salty already..
    "'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
    Try to make ends meet
    You're a slave to money then you die"
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do add salt to my cooking as it definitely enhances flavour but I use a good quality sea salt which I believe makes all the difference. You wouldn't get me using table salt for love nor money. That stuff belongs on my pathways when it's icy ;)
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport