Can I put a second hair colour on my hair?

Options
I have just put my first permanent hair colour on my hair. I have mid-dark brown hair that has a slight red cast sometimes?
I had to dye it as I now have a 'sprinkling' of stubborn grey hairs that will not budge using the semi pemanent dyes I usually use.

So I have just put a L'oreal Recital Preference colour on called Capri Light Brown 6. I wanted it to be pretty much my natural shade and used the light brown as I was told that dyes always end up darker than they show on the pic and also the box confirmed this.

Anyway the colour is ok but at the roots it has a slightly lighter verey slightly orange cast. It can't be that bad as no one has noticed up to now (I did it yesterday) but it is bugging me and I was wondering if it would be ok for me to put a slighter darker dye on so soon?
Also it didn't even cover the grey and the box said it gave full coverage??

I'd be grateful for any help
Thanks

Comments

• Sugar_Coated_Owl
    Sugar_Coated_Owl Posts: 12,379 Forumite
    Options
    It's probably not recommended but I must admit that a few years ago I used to change my hair color all the time and it always turned out OK. However, it's probably best to speak to a hairdresser.
    --><-- Sugar Coated Owl --><--

If you believe, you will survive - Katie Piper

Woohoo! I'm normal! Gotta go tell the cat.
  • the_devil_made_me_do_it
    Options
    I've done all sorts to my hair and as long as your hair is in good condition and you look after it I can't see the problem of maybe putting a semi permanent colour on. Maybe just do the root regrowth technique; you will find this on the colouring instruction leaflet.

Can't advise what colour to get, but I find the semi colours generally reflect what's on the box. I now put dark brown on, and to be honest the colour it goes on my hair is very close to the shade on the box & it covers any grey hairs.

You could even try touching the roots up with a wash in wash out colour and see what happens. Might give you an indication of what you need to do next.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like you need a toner on your hair. Definitely need to see a hairdresser.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • sleepymy
    sleepymy Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Options
    I'd advise against it, it could possibly go very dark or even with a tinge (purple in my experience lol). Leave it for a couple of washes and if you're still not happy see a hairdresser or get a friend to touch up the roots.

I'd recommend Daniel Field colors, I've just put their light brown in and although it's darker than I thought it's really natural looking and completely covered the grey.
    The stupid things you do, you regret... if you have any sense, and if you don't regret them, maybe you're stupid. - Katharine Hepburn
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure