PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

What to do with chicken mince

Options
I bought some YS chicken mince, 500g.
I've used turkey mince in bolognese and enjoyed it, not sure what to do with chicken mince though.
So I'm looking for some inspiration or recipes?

Comments

• Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Options
    Personally, I'd use it in the same way as any other mince - adding sage/chives/garlic/diced onion - whatever you want to 'add' flavour. Just don't overpower it with too many strong spices though - it'll be quite a delicate flavour.
  • pablakeman
    pablakeman Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Same advice here - same as any other mince!

I just made a Monday pie for the first time and it was great! Mince and baked beans with onion (and mushroom I used too, went off the recipe) with sliced potato on top. Took 10 minutes to cook up mince/onion/mushroom etc.... added some beef stock (so you could use chicken stock) and then put poured into seperate dihses and stuck sliced potato on top, 45 minutes in the oven.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • gayleygoo
    gayleygoo Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    I'd make little meatballs or kebabs - add some breadcrumbs and plenty of herbs and spices to flavor, and serve with dipping sauce, rice, pitta bread or whatever.

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    chicken lasagne is lovely but put the mince in a white sauce with herbs, layer with lasagne sheets, a layer of just sauce on the top and some cheese and cook
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 May 2014 at 6:28PM
    Options
    As above, I use pork or turkey mince (I've yet to find chicken mince) like any other mince, especially in stuff like Bolognese sauce, chilli con carne or keema curry, with a strong flavoured sauce. You can always literally "beef it up" with an OXO cube or two if required. They're lower in fat and usually cheaper than beef mince.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • Ladyluck1
    Ladyluck1 Posts: 749 Forumite
    Options
    I'd make kebabs or maybe Chinese meatballs :)
    I'm C, Mummy to DS 29/11/2010 and DD 02/11/2013

Overdraft PAID OFF
    CC PAID OFF
    GC Sept £141.17/200
  • camNolliesMUMMY
    camNolliesMUMMY Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've used chicken mince in the same way as I have beef. As it's a lower fat and lower calorie meat instead of beef.
    We've had a keema style curry, meatballs, shepherds pie, chilli, Spag Bol etc
    Ds2 born 3/4/12 8lbs 8.5:j
    Ds1 born 28/4/07 9lb 8 :j
    Frugal, thrifty, tight mum & wife and proud of it lol
    :rotfl::j
    Make money for Xmas challenge 2014 £0/£270
  • Kathy535
    Kathy535 Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I can never find chicken mince, where should I look?
  • camNolliesMUMMY
    camNolliesMUMMY Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You'll find turkey mince in most supermarkets.

However ice only found chicken mince in Asian ethnic supermarkets.
    Ds2 born 3/4/12 8lbs 8.5:j
    Ds1 born 28/4/07 9lb 8 :j
    Frugal, thrifty, tight mum & wife and proud of it lol
    :rotfl::j
    Make money for Xmas challenge 2014 £0/£270
  • lucylema
    lucylema Posts: 834 Forumite
    Options
    gayleygoo wrote: »
    I'd make little meatballs or kebabs - add some breadcrumbs and plenty of herbs and spices to flavor, and serve with dipping sauce, rice, pitta bread or whatever.

I second the idea of meatballs or kebabs or even chicken burgers? - nom nom x
    Lucylema x :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 4 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family